Is a >6" chipper needed?

Mark Wileman

In my experience saw work need to be second nature before you even contemplate using a saw in a tree.

You need to be concentrating on your climbing gear and work position, not thinking about using the saw or making cuts.

You need at least a year on the floor using a saw every day, before you even start to climb, IMO.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't overlook the potential tax advantages that can be derived from the description you give above.

(Don't act upon my advice - be sure to either research properly for yourself or seek the guidance of a tax / accountancy professional.)

If you are in full time employment AND registered self employed AND your self employment passes both the test of commerciality AND trading, you can offset the expenses of self employment against the taxable income from PAYE.

Exactly!

I didn't want to turn this into a financial post but yeah, one of the reasons for wanting to go out alone (a little bit at least) is to offset everything against my first couple of years earnings, as I'm leaving a well paid job to take a big cut. Every little will help, I believe you can back date 1 year of business related purchases?

I read somewhere about firewood being a grey area in the business terms, like it's an industrial process and you have to tread carefully when dealing with it?

Also the more time on record as a sole trader counts towards certain things in the industry that require you to have 5 years trading under your belt. #dreambig.

In my experience saw work need to be second nature before you even contemplate using a saw in a tree.

You need to be concentrating on your climbing gear and work position, not thinking about using the saw or making cuts.

You need at least a year on the floor using a saw every day, before you even start to climb, IMO.

I agree with you to a certain degree, I mean as a 16 year old school leaver sure. But as a 30 year old that's been using saws part time for years processing firewood etc? I've got a fair bit of climbing and mountaineering experience also, so far as yet nothing on the rope-work front is overly new to me, just new applications for already familiar knots/systems.

I realise I just made myself out to be a bit of a know it all dickhead in that last paragraph, it really wasn't my intent, I don't know ****. But at the same time I'm not going to wait in line until some elitist climber thinks i'm worthy of putting a harness on, there was far too much of that **** in the Army.

I think the Jack Daniels is kicking in...

I agree with you to a certain degree, I mean as a 16 year old school leaver sure. But as a 30 year old that's been using saws part time for years processing firewood etc? I've got a fair bit of climbing and mountaineering experience also, so far as yet nothing on the rope-work front is overly new to me, just new applications for already familiar knots/systems.

I realise I just made myself out to be a bit of a know it all dickhead in that last paragraph, it really wasn't my intent, I don't know ****. But at the same time I'm not going to wait in line until some elitist climber thinks i'm worthy of putting a harness on, there was far too much of that **** in the Army.

I think the Jack Daniels is kicking in...

Posting whilst drinking is my favourite past time, usually why I post such crap, to be fair the fact you have mountaineering experience really means nothing other than maybe a head for heights as it's a completely different skill set.

The comments from some of us here are not to say you have to wait in line, most climbers are not elitist particularly the good ones only that there is a lot to learn even on the ground, watch and learn so to speak.

You have to be driven though to excel fast, when I started I'd pull a shift then go climb some trees, then climb some more on the weekend - as well as do work for friends and family.

The problem this is a commercial buisiness time is money and you will be painfully slow for a year or 2 and not be viable as a climber that's just reality - be patient.

Posting whilst drinking is my favourite past time, usually why I post such crap, to be fair the fact you have mountaineering experience really means nothing other than maybe a head for heights as it's a completely different skill set.

The comments from some of us here are not to say you have to wait in line, most climbers are not elitist particularly the good ones only that there is a lot to learn even on the ground, watch and learn so to speak.

You have to be driven though to excel fast, when I started I'd pull a shift then go climb some trees, then climb some more on the weekend - as well as do work for friends and family.

The problem this is a commercial buisiness time is money and you will be painfully slow for a year or 2 and not be viable as a climber that's just reality - be patient.

Yeah, I think I might log off to save myself the embarrassment re-reading half this **** tomorrow. :)

I only mentioned the mountaineering stuff because rock climbing, setting up anchors, rescue work basically follows the same principles as using the rope in the tree and rigging.. meaning it would shorten the learning curve on that front.

We'll see what happens, I think we've got suitably off topic for one evening. I'm yet to even do my first course!

Regarding the chipper, thanks for all the advice, I'll keep an eye out for an M300 or similiar, they seem to hold their value well enough and can be used as much for gardening as they can for tree work.

Exactly!

I didn't want to turn this into a financial post but yeah, one of the reasons for wanting to go out alone (a little bit at least) is to offset everything against my first couple of years earnings, as I'm leaving a well paid job to take a big cut. Every little will help, I believe you can back date 1 year of business related purchases?

You might be confusing / conflating separate elements of tax accounting there:

(1) eligible business expenses incurred in-year are included in your annual income tax liability calculation via self assessment tax return.

(2) At the point of registering for VAT, items of capital expenditure (generally those that have qualified under annual investment allowance) upon which VAT has been paid at the point of sale, and that are still in your possession, may be eligible for VAT rebate for 4 years preceding the date of VAT registration.

I read somewhere about firewood being a grey area in the business terms, like it's an industrial process and you have to tread carefully when dealing with it?

In what respect? Are you thinking of planning conditions / change of use implications / business rates liability if processing?

Also the more time on record as a sole trader counts towards certain things in the industry that require you to have 5 years trading under your belt. #dreambig.

Yes some training quals have prerequisite qualifying periods prior to attendance. However, training providers are businesses too - they exist to find, train and certify people - it's how they make their money

Happy to talk offline if you want to get into detail.

Hey guys,

Starting out in arb, still in two minds on whether to try and get on the books or jump straight into self-employed and accept the facts that as a sub-contractor with all the tickets but very little experience, the wage won't be great!

If I go down the self employed route I will be looking for my own work in between subbing to firms.

I'm just toying with some ideas of a setup, in regards to chippers. How many guys here use a small chipper, less than 6"? I've seen some of the 4" vertical feed chippers, that don't have to be towed. Ideally something that I could put on the back of my pick up, and tow a trailer behind. Chip into trailer and crosscut everything over 4/5" and stack on top of chip (for firewood/carving/charcoal). Of course this method is a lot more work than sending whole trees through a 12" into a Unimog but as I said I am starting out and if I do get offered any bigger jobs that require it, I can just hire and price that in.

Who uses smaller chippers here and just how much can I expect from them?

Thanks as always in advance :D

I would buy the best chipper you can afford. If you go for a small gravity fed chipper look at the size of the drum and the bottom of the feed shoot go for the biggest you can find. This makes feeding brash much easier otherwise you will have to cut it into small pieces or force it into the chipper which is dangerous. I started out with a lawn fight pro mounted on the front of a plant trailer. What a nightmare once you use a hydrolicly fed chipper you will never go back. i would say hire a few different machines until you find something you like. I now use a timberwolf 150

I would be inclined to look at that the opposite way, from my own experience. All skills, muscle memory etc are semi-transferrable to a certain degree. Your man might find he has more of the necessary skills and experience than he thinks, it just takes a little re-adjustemt. I hope, for his sake anyway.

The speed will definitely be slow though, both climbing and chipping. Its a matter of what kind of work he thinks he's going to be doing - do you want to go small is beautiful, or go high power industrial? What are your finical needs and commitment/energy levels? For some guys, messing with a little chipper would just drive them nuts, but others may be happy to spend longer on the job for the same money, earn a lower hourly wage but have less overheads and debt/liability. All depends on your lifestyle really. Big chipper, needs a bigger truck - and bigger trailer. More expense, can charge more but may make small jobs unfeasible, which would have been worth doing with a cheaper setup. If you end up getting loads of garden clearance jobs, hedging, etc, its going to be crazy hauling a 2 tonne chipper to site, can't get it in the garden, fire it up and arising are done in five minutes. Whats appropriate? Just don't know until your clientele starts taking shape.

If the little chipper doesn't work out though, it will be easier to re-sell, maybe?

HairyChest we will have to agree to disagree I do not find the skills transferable as tree climber is a lot about using the rope to your advantage and rock climbing is climbing rock/mountains, I have worked with a few apprentice climbers with solid rock climbing backgrounds and they are no different to someone without, I am also terrible and climbing mountains.

What is important is aptitude, confidence and problem solving.

Back on topic some of those small chippers particularly the JoBeau from Global look very good and should be a solid investment and hold their value well. Either that or buy a second hand 6" ********* or the like