spiking (spuring) to tree's

Pbtaylor2014

Ok thanks,

Yes, I meant correct pruning cuts, apart from those ash I mentioned in my first post I have never felt the need to spike any tree I haven't been removing.

After all that's what ladders are for[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

With the usual power clearance works the clearance pruning is probably more detrimental than the spiking you are doing so personally see no issue with it, was recently working at one of the largest sub stations in the U.K. Plenty of spike marks observed all healed over these paled in comparison to the topping and heading back from targets.

We to had to carry out work to provide clearance and I told the team to spike away if the so wish, the works we were doing was to spank them back giving 6m clearance spiking, tearing, wounding and shocking pruning cuts all good in that instance.

Time and place and all that.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually on the latest PTI course , there is a dispute over pruning some laterals back to the collar- as the reaction process sometimes improves main stem compartmentalising by occuring further away from the collar cut that we were previously taught . Certainly pruning a already decayed or broken lateral back to the collar with a fresh cut just opens the wound again , K

I have climbed many trees historically spiked and have never seen an issue caused by it, the wounds are small usually to bark and sapwood not heart wood and the tree deals with it.

Personally I hate spikes and find it far easier to climb without them and that it's good professional practice to not use spikes during pruning operations or any works where the tree is to be retained.

Does it damage the tree and cause long term issues I have never seen any evidence to support this.

Same. For the first couple of years it looks pretty ugly but then, as the wounds heal it's hard to tell the difference between minor insect damage, bark fissures etc. topped and spiked tree after tree after tree in Oz for Pacific Power (transmission line clearance and under orders) and you could see that the trees had the same treatment year after year with apparently no ill effect. Not that I use spikes for pruning but you get my drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• 1 month later...

I spiked a lime with 12 stems near Dreux.

It was summer, raining, the stems covered in a green algae.

I couldn't reach a suitable branch with the throwline as the canopy was so thick so we used a 3 stage ladder and I spiked the rest of the way to my anchor point.

Cobra bracing was to be installed.

I used large strops around the stems whilst positioning but to do all 12 stems in a day (6 pairs) spiking was the fastest way.

I returned 2 years later and again last Winter to check on our work and no sign of any spike marks. I've seen how fast lime and poplar occlude and even noticed when climbing shoots from some spike marks on trees worked on by others previously.

Ty