Looking for used milling saw

Hunter

I would sell mine if I wasn't milling or cross cutting oversize timber tbh. Alot of other lighter saws out there for the odd bit of cross cutting. They are good though, but for what they are worth s/h you could a get a decent 60/70/80 cc saw and have a wedge of change in back pocket.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill and Logan, nail on head chaps.

Dragging a 075 with a mill and bits into the woods to find something pops/cracks...

After repairing many old saws I now buy brand new from dealer.

880 all the way. 12k rpm is ok, but it starts and runs every time.

Hunter did you get the 056 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Bill and Logan, nail on head chaps.

Dragging a 075 with a mill and bits into the woods to find something pops/cracks...

After repairing many old saws I now buy brand new from dealer.

880 all the way. 12k rpm is ok, but it starts and runs every time.

Hunter did you get the 056 ?

you made me worried. I was suppose to buy Stihl 056 but ended buying

Stihl 075

:001_unsure::001_unsure:

Great, it'll be fine and you'll have fun, and remember chainsaw milling is slow, loud, fumey, fuelly, and heavy at best. Worth staying ontop of keeping chains sharp, hacking dirty bark off(I i use an old adze) and wedging as you go down a board.and get set up with rails and ladder right also.have fun 075 will be a good saw, just not the absolute best possible option. Better than 056.

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

Just make sure you tighten all nuts well, and take some spares too. Very powerful saw, great on really wide boards.

Do you mean spare nuts for the Alaskan mill?

I have not got the saw yet. Once I get it anything that I need to check/ test with such an old saw before start milling. What I deal bar length for the 075.

I have an 056 i bought solely for milling use, a good eBay price was had when prices where keen. I used it to mill a few butts then the tensioner broke. Trying to understand one was like hens teeth and eventually found one off a kind gentleman on here. That as three years ago and still not fixed. A great torquey saw but so slow. Hence why it where it is, on the shelf waiting to be fixed!

I was milling some 20" cedar last week and gave the 461 a stint with the 36" bar on and it was great. Ultimately engine size will dictate how big you want to mill, but big boards are a pin in the arse! But look good!

If you can find one a 090 goes like a beast

I use an 090 but only for preference over about 30" width. From there down to 15-18" the 076 is faster (below that, the 066 is faster although I usually just stick with the 076). Chain speed wins over displacement at about those break points. In theory I could file the rakers down further to take advantage of the torque from the 090 but going non-standard would mean having multiple chains for different widths/hardnesses of timber so the chain remains standard and the 090 is a bit slower. It really comes into its own above about 4'.

Alec

Do you mean spare nuts for the Alaskan mill?

I have not got the saw yet. Once I get it anything that I need to check/ test with such an old saw before start milling. What I deal bar length for the 075.

Where are you milling? If at home\in yard just give it a pop, if out in middle of woods, I would start it up, check it idles ok, clean air filter, check spark plug colour and gap (coffee brown not white) ideally cross cut some big butts check it's going ok.

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app