Chipper engine size matter?

James Atkinson

Bigger is invariably better, we have 3 chippers from a 6"TW to a bandit 90 and everyone prefers the bandit hands down the more power to pull and chip and bigger indeed the better saves shedding and wrestling them in. But I think size of the opening is the key thing really stress control cutting in can be tedious but when stuff just won't fit is when it really gets frustrating.

Hardly surprising they like true Bandit :001_rolleyes:

We have similar set-up with a TW230 and crane fed 250hp 20" we all prefer the 20" feeding hedge clippings into that is a dream.

I can only go by what the team tells me, and they all love the TW230 we also have a Forst 6" everyone will always go for the 230.

In all honesty we could happily do without the 20" chipper and if I had to have one it would be the TW230, of course the big chippers are nice, and we get big contracts to use those chippers on, but the little Timberwolf clocks more hours per year going out every day where as the bigger chippers 2-3 times a week.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most machines below 9" are running the Kubota 1505. Which is 35hp, you can put a turbo on and it jumps to 45hp. This is still a 1.5 ltr engine used in the TW150. The TW230 runs the same engine as the TW150 but has twice the rota weight ( rota is a bit heavier than a TW190).

Our BC190xl runs the Kubota 2203 engine which is just short of 50hp, but is a 2.2ltr engine, so has a lot more torque, nearly double of the 45hp 1505. Couple this with a very heavy rota, and an efficient stress control. Give a lot of bang for your buck.

It also has a 8" by 12" in feed, and can be crane feed.

From my own experience of working up through gravity feed to 6" and lately 8" I'd always invest in the largest machine possible at the time and feed it smaller diameter material than it's spec allows for a longer life.

I'm sure that feeding chippers up to the max every day must shorten their working life considerably.

Ty

From my own experience of working up through gravity feed to 6" and lately 8" I'd always invest in the largest machine possible at the time and feed it smaller diameter material than it's spec allows for a longer life.

I'm sure that feeding chippers up to the max every day must shorten their working life considerably.

Ty

Sod that ram it! It's there to be worked, a good chipper should be able to take full capacity day in day out if well maintained without shortening its lifespan.

Although having been like yourself starting with a 6"gravity fed you get into the mindset that little and often is better as going big just slows productivity. The reason we like the Forst st6 and TW230 is they will happily gulp the max diameter day in out, we even crane feed ours with an excavator.

As for the larger chippers we ram them till they take no more kit is to be worked and factored into your price.

Most machines below 9" are running the Kubota 1505. Which is 35hp, you can put a turbo on and it jumps to 45hp. This is still a 1.5 ltr engine used in the TW150. The TW230 runs the same engine as the TW150 but has twice the rota weight ( rota is a bit heavier than a TW190).

Our BC190xl runs the Kubota 2203 engine which is just short of 50hp, but is a 2.2ltr engine, so has a lot more torque, nearly double of the 45hp 1505. Couple this with a very heavy rota, and an efficient stress control. Give a lot of bang for your buck.

It also has a 8" by 12" in feed, and can be crane feed.

If only it could be mounted on tracks..... not so subtle hint from me :sneaky2:

You will have to pop down and give us a demo sometime.

Sod that ram it! It's there to be worked, a good chipper should be able to take full capacity day in day out if well maintained without shortening its lifespan.

Although having been like yourself starting with a 6"gravity fed you get into the mindset that little and often is better as going big just slows productivity. The reason we like the Forst st6 and TW230 is they will happily gulp the max diameter day in out, we even crane feed ours with an excavator.

As for the larger chippers we ram them till they take no more kit is to be worked and factored into your price.

Agreed, no point treating them with kid gloves, they're there to chip wood.

Keep the blades sharp, belts tight, bearings greased.

If it fits in, it goes on.