Brushcutter mulching blade

pycoed

Following on from this on a very slight derail, does anyone have any good tips for blade guards. Smashing through light brush, gorse and briars, cracks and fractures the genuine , plastic guards on my 43cc kawasaki with annoying and expensive regularity. Any suggestions for good durable ( and cheap ) guards ?

I've already tried the thin flimsy metal jobs that twist around the shaft and feed themselves into the blade.

Shaun

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Arbtalk mobile app

Try l and s engineers they do generic ones cheap enough

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I must admit that the first thing I do with a brushcutter is to remove the guard altogether. I realise this isn't on for employees etc etc but as a sole agri/hobby user I find the blasted thing gets in the way of anything other than simple garden work. i.e. anything with bramble, rushes, head high undergrowth I find the guards to be completely unusable (I have/had Danarm/Stihl, Kawasaki & Hyundai & they were all the same) The only one left on is a Ryobi electric start model I bought for the wife to keep the edges of her garden tidy & that seems OK at that job.

Now don't get me started on lathe chuck guards, drilling machine guards...

I really hate being shot in the legs with stones or brash chippings, especially the ones with thorns still attached, and on lighter growth the guard does help to act as a sort of cutting anvil rather than winding it into a rope and then killing the blade speed. So a nuisance though they are, I prefer a guard in place.

My blade of choice though is the 3 legged mulcher, as heavy a blade as the machine will spin. Mass is the key for destruction.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Arbtalk mobile app

Edited by skc101fc

Guards off for me as well .

Same here, though it cost me last year when I did a fella's window in on week, and two weeks later his sons car window......:thumbup1:

taking the guard off allows for greater dexterity with the strimmer head....

I also use one of those three sided metal blades for heavy brush, not the flimsy crap ones that come with em though, absolute waste of time those things....

• 11 months later...