Vertical Speedline

kevinjohnsonmbe

I haven't had cause to use a vertical speed line before - Anyone got any top-tips or preferred methods for speed / ease?

Found this vid (decent sound track) which all looks straight forward enough.

Got pre-fight jitters thinking about the stem dismantle for this one for tomorrow, just don't want a random lump bouncing off and cracking a headstone!

597672761365b_ScreenShot2017-01-27at12_51_01.png.2afc144d4d3198fe8ef4b916ad1652d9.png

All depends what time scale you have. I've used a vertical speedline a few times, but in some situations I found cutting and chucking rings into a landing zone inside rings of timber quicker. Best to be safe, if you have the time and gear, utilise it. Or block it down. Or even use the tree to the left for the heavy stuff ?

Cheers

I haven't had cause to use a vertical speed line before - Anyone got any top-tips or preferred methods for speed / ease?

Got pre-fight jitters thinking about the stem dismantle for this one for tomorrow, just don't want a random lump bouncing off and cracking a headstone!

Metal spike (tent peg) driven into the ground with a pulley attached at the foot of the line to divert the end of the speed line away so that the groundy can hold the tension on the line without being in the landing zone.

Hope this makes sense..,

👍

Why was the bloke in the vid using one?

Graves all around so felling is really tight, not really a valid option.

The log / brash barrier may well be deployed and maybe a high point in the other tree but that didn't figure in my thoughts when I was looking at it last year. Worth another look tomorrow for feasibility.

Like the ground re-direct option but I was thinking of just a free drop rather than tended. The only thing I want to avoid is bounce off after it hits the deck.

Can't see a reason for matey in the vid doing it, other than for demo purposes?

Thanks all! Good points to consider!! 👍

Graves all around so felling is really tight, not really a valid option.

The log / brash barrier may well be deployed and maybe a high point in the other tree but that didn't figure in my thoughts when I was looking at it last year. Worth another look tomorrow for feasibility.

Like the ground re-direct option but I was thinking of just a free drop rather than tended. The only thing I want to avoid is bounce off after it hits the deck.

Can't see a reason for matey in the vid doing it, other than for demo purposes?

Thanks all! Good points to consider!! [emoji106]

Vertical speed lines are pretty quick and straight forward. I'd go with that option to be on the safe side. Is the brash not a problem for the stones?

One thing I will say about vertical speedlines that is common sense I guess is to keep them as tight as possible because if the log swings on a loose rope it can clip your toes or bounce to far at the base.

I think the tree in the video is on a slope (if you look at the grown in the distance).

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Corkscrew the speedline once around the stem then take it to an adjacent tree and adjust tightness with a portawrap. The need for the iece to go round the stem will kill momentum and if you get the tension right (not to tight at all) the line stays loose unti the piece hits the ground then it has nowhere to go because it's on a sideways pull from the adjacent tree. You got to be ruthless about clearing stubs on the way up.