Scaffolding pole as ROPS on compact tractor?

sandspider

Hi all

I've got a little Yanmar compact tractor, and as it's a grey import, it has no ROPS. Also, I can't seem to get one to fit it, at least not without paying hundreds of pounds. Not the end of the world, but I do have some steep bits of land and would rather not have the tractor rolling over on me!

Can I just bolt a scaffolding pole or two to the back of the tractor? Maybe with a cross bar to stop it sinking into the ground if it does roll? Or is there a bit more to it than that?

Cheers.

Many years ago a farming relative made a cage for a Massey 35 from scaffold. He then rolled the machine backwards (steep slope, Cambridge roller on 3-pt link drawbar lifted too high!) and had a lucky escape when the cage simply folded.

Likely there were design and build flaws but I think scaffold won't be sufficient without extensive strutting.

Thanks chaps.

The tractor isn't very heavy, only 700 KG odd - maybe half the weight of a MF35. Would scaffolding pole not be up to that? I suppose once the tube integrity is gone, it would fold. Maybe I should go to a fabricator and get something heftier, but I also don't want to put too much weight on the tractor... Hmm.

can you get the old steel ones and weld them, will need a cross bar, the strength's in the v shapes, also need to strongly attach them to the tractor and the attachment needs to be to the chassis. if you know a fabricator should only cost a ton. good luck

I did make a roll over bar for a single seater out of thick walled round tube. However it was braced diagonally, triangulated forward and formed part of the chassis. In effect a compete-survival cage. Your problem will be not enough mounting points to brace it sufficiently so you will need to up the strength. As stock says box is much stronger than round. Brace diagonally with good gussets everywhere.

The inertia of 700 kg will put much more strain on it than you would believe so build it stronger than you think necessary.

If you do manage to construct a ROPS,take your tractor to the top of a steep slope and let it run away by itself without anybody on it.Hopefully it will roll over a few times and the rops and its mountings will survive intact.

These things are professionally designed and approved for a reason!

Also don't forget that you need a seatbelt for use with a ROPS.

Martin.