Pathetic workrate of rail arb gang

forestgough

So, to sum up this thread.

Poor management leads to high or excessive costs!

Elf n safety me thinks.

When I was on Highway work there would be lane closures booked for 9pm (traffic count permitting), many nights the count was still too high at 11pm or even midnight by which time we'd been on shift 4 or 5 hours and not so much as lifted a finger.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bit of a derail Eggs but sometimes there's a lane closure for just road sweeping etc and you think why on earth did they do that on a busy night and not wait longer.

is there always a traffic count? Just interested.

I don't know if it's still the same now. When I worked on the roads rules seemed to vary depending on what county we were working in.

Traffic counts were always carried out on major roads. If the Traffic Safety Officer said the count was too high no closers went on.

The amount of wasted money on big road jobs is unbelievable. I've seen lorry after lorry load of Tarmac rejected (even in insulated bodies) because it has gone cold whilst waiting to get the cones out.

Everyone here seems to miss a certain point he made, he may not start work until the railway says so.

I've done highways contracts and we had to mass and wait until the highway boys said it's all clear. We often had people give us a beep and the finger on the way past, probably thought we were sleeping on their dollar no doubt.

At Last, someone reads the posts before making comments thank you

Elf n safety me thinks.

When I was on Highway work there would be lane closures booked for 9pm (traffic count permitting), many nights the count was still too high at 11pm or even midnight by which time we'd been on shift 4 or 5 hours and not so much as lifted a finger.

We have a dual carriageway bypassing the center of town. Shutting the lanes is never good, but when then the grass is cut, the tree work is done, gulleys are cleaned and highways mess about with the lighting. It's done right and the council really do utilise the lane closure:thumbup1:

Elf n safety me thinks.

Yip, had the same thing. Bloody pain in the arse! I want to get it done and bugger off to bed. The highways boys didn't muck about as far as the h&s was concerned, we had to wear the full high viz jacket and trousers over our gear, used to sweat my bollox off! Most unpleasant.......

We have a dual carriageway bypassing the center of town. Shutting the lanes is never good, but when then the grass is cut, the tree work is done, gulleys are cleaned and highways mess about with the lighting. It's done right and the council really do utilise the lane closure:thumbup1:

Agreed, it was all out when I was doing highways contracts. Council boys from every department in on it.

Yip, had the same thing. Bloody pain in the arse! I want to get it done and bugger off to bed. The highways boys didn't muck about as far as the h&s was concerned, we had to wear the full high viz jacket and trousers over our gear, used to sweat my bollox off! Most unpleasant.......

The TM company we use sack anyone who even get out of the vehicle without full hi-viz, jackets have to zipped up etc

Those are the rules, no messing.....