Lock up full of tools not being used.....after honest opinions!

stewie

And when I say make more money I mean actual cash in my pocket! On a good week of banging the hours and rounds in on delivery work I can earn upto £650! Average has been £500 and my Berlingo van does 500 mlies on £50! To come out with £450 myself on tree/garden work by the time I had paid fuel, wages, tip fees etc i would have to be earning £1000 a week as a company!

Get the stuff sold.

You were charging far, far to little when you were using them, IMO.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol yeah of course mate! I go gym alot more now tho so keep myself fit that way and walk the dogs a fair few miles each weekend with all my free time of not messing about with quotes etc lol

Yhea, since coming off the tools I actually have energy and mainly time for a lot more of me time.

Get the stuff sold.

You were charging far, far to little when you were using them, IMO.

I wouldn't say that at all tbh! A lot of weeks i made well over a grand I was just using that as an example that to earn £450 in my own pocket 52 weeks a year id have to do a grands worth a work to cover everything else. To put it in perspective I started courier work In march 2016 and to date I've earned just under 19k.....that ain't bad money and now I'm starting to know my rounds better and getting quicker each time I can get more rounds done which will pay more! I'd rather save and buy a truck/chipper for cash than on finance aswell then I'm set up for a good few years

Edited by stewie

you don't have to store them with Aspen in - its not 100% safe, but what I do is if I've got something I don't use much, say clearing saw, I start it then open fuel cap while running and tip the fuel onto rough ground and keep running it till it stops - with no fuel in carbs the diaphragms wont stick, have never caught fire doing this - mowers obviously you'd need to syphon to run dry. With dry stored petrol machinery manufacureres sometimes recommend a syringe with 20ml 2 stroke oil in through spark plug hole and pull it over to oil the bores before replacing plug and laying up.

The environmentally ones will say don't tip waste fuel onto the ground - but they should stop breathing to keep the CO2 down.

If you have always run them on normal fuel and they are older machines don't put aspen in them as fuel lines shrink and change with normal fuel and age ,aspen reverses this, had no end of problems with fuel lines and carbs on older hedge cutters and strimmers and a few saws that I had sitting up with aspen.

I'm with Huck.

If you struggled with you tree surgery business (as it appears you did) then why would you subsidise this business with money saved doing other work?

Keep the tools if you like them, you'd be disappointed with their sale value.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

I wouldn't say i struggled mate but it's like any business you will need to eventually spend on bigger equipment to grow and expand. I recently rented a tracked chipper for £150 a day. I put that I'm the price of the quote so all good BUT if I owned that chipper and still charged £150 a day it would soon help pay for its self. I hope it's coming across as I mean it! Maybe being young and daft with money for first few years never helped :blushing:

See this in my dilemma :sneaky2: why can't there just be one definitive answer on storing tools lol just Google local aspen dealers I can go and get some aspen from the shop at 8.30 and spend the day filling them up with it but then two people say don't use it :confused1:

read some of the Stihl user manuals - most of the two stroke stuff there is a section in the manual that talks about long term storage