Satellite broadband

kevinjohnsonmbe

As we live out in the sticks we will never have fibre so over the years I've looked at both satellite and wireless broadband and also tried to keep abreast of various government "initiatives" to bring high speed broadband to someone like me. Yet the fact is that 7 or 8 years ago we had about 1.5 Mbps and now we have about 1.2 Mbps, but it is fairly consistent and reliable at least.

A couple of years ago when Junior was living in England, rather than get tied in with fixed broadband contracts he got EE 4G mobile broadband as he could bring it home with him at least until the contract expired. Well he still has it and it runs consistently with us at 25-30 Mbps although you'd obviously have to try something out to see what speed you were getting yourself.

What IS significant about mobile broadband is that only in the past few months has data started to become sufficiently sensibly priced to be able to consider it as your sole supply. When he started he had 25 Gigs/month, now he has 60 for less money. Daughter has just switched to Vodafone on a sim only phone contract that gives her 20 Gigs/month of data with unlimited phone usage, so she increasingly just uses her phone as a wifi hotspot with her laptop and doesn't even bother with our fixed broadband.

So check out 4G, if you have the signal it might be worth considering.

Edited by wrsni

As we live out in the sticks we will never have fibre so over the years I've looked at both satellite and wireless broadband and also tried to keep abreast of various government "initiatives" to bring high speed broadband to someone like me. Yet the fact is that 7 or 8 years ago we had about 1.5 Mbps and now we have about 1.2 Mbps, but it is fairly consistent and reliable at least.

A couple of years ago when Junior was living in England, rather than get tied in with fixed broadband contracts he got EE 4G mobile broadband as he could bring it home with him at least until the contract expired. Well he still has it and it runs consistently with us at 25-30 Mbps although you'd obviously have to try something out to see what speed you were getting yourself.

What IS significant about mobile broadband is that only in the past few months has data started to become sufficiently sensibly priced to be able to consider it as your sole supply. When he started he had 25 Gigs/month, now he has 60 for less money. Daughter has just switched to Vodafone on a sim only phone contract that gives her 20 Gigs/month of data with unlimited phone usage, so she increasingly just uses her phone as a wifi hotspot with her laptop and doesn't even bother with our fixed broadband.

So check out 4G, if you have the signal it might be worth considering.

4g is fantastic. I use my phone as a hotspot so the kids can watch peppa pig on the ipad when we're away. Can't wait until it takes over from phone lines so they can stop running them through trees (!) And can do away with paying for a landline we never use

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

• 3 months later...