Gap between top roller blade and bottom

daveindales

I'm just changing anvils on entec/ timberwolf ch25. I've taken the roller box out and noticed that I have about an half inch gap between the top roller blade edge and the bottom one, when they are at their nearest. Is this normal? I never noticed the gap distance before I took the rollers out.

Not sure about the gap but they should mesh and blades never meet if you get me? Think thats how they should be anyhow

If you have two hydraulic motors powering them then a gap is needed, just incase on turns slightly faster than the others. Jensen spout on about intermeshing rollers, that is because they have one motor driving a gearbox which in turn drives the two rollers!

Our Quadchip just wasn't taking in smaller stringy, twiggy material as it once did so it was time again to give the rollers a new edge.

The space between them was large enough for my fingers up to the knuckles, a good couple of cms worth.

Having previously sharpened our Quadchip rollers twice, for the third tickle I took the advice of Jase Hutch at G.M and simply disposed of the machine at the local tip instead...

Not really!

Jase suggested that I try grinding the metal that acts as the actual 'roller stop'

This was fiddly but do-able.

After using a grinder with a wide disc to remove most of the meat, I finished the job off with a new metal file and alot of patience.

The rollers perfomed almost as new apart from some play in the left hand one which is normal for the age.

Ty