First pick up truck- advice needed

sspearos

Pinkers, there is a mod you can carry out to enable 2L on a Ranger as someone posted up details very recently on how to do it. I got the 2L option on my antique Isuzu by simply fitting manual free wheeling hubs up front.

Here it is....

I can't help with the axle diff locks

But, you can run a Ranger in 2wd low range and not get tyre scrubbing (if you have the RFW switch and light system that the Mazdas do). RFW are free wheeling hubs that are actuated by a vacuum line and an electric solenoid, so the solenoids can be bypassed...

I copied this from an Aus forum-

"Ranger/BT50 Mod to get Low Range 2WD.

Ok this is the Mod I have one to my Ranger so has to use Low range 2 wheel drive for backing a caravan etc.

there's 2 relay's under the bonnet on the left side of the brake booster. 1 plug is black=free solenoid and the other plug is Blue=Lock solenoid.

I did the following mod.

#1-Cut the red wire back about 100mm from the blue plug.

#2- Run a length of 3mm twin core wire from driver side foot well into engine compartment.

#3- place shrink wrap over the wires before soldeing each end of cut Red wire to one of each of the twin core wires, and then cover the soldered joins after soldering with the shrink wrap.

#4-Using a Narva rocker switch #63020BL with amber LED, run an earth wire to ground the switch and run the twin core wires to the switch Power & Acc poles.

#5- To Test. Start the Ute. The Led on Rocker switch will light up if it is in the On position.

Move the 4WD lever to 4WD, the Rocker switch Led will turn OFF.

Move forward to engage RFW (Remote Free Wheel hubs) and the RFW light on the dash will light up.

This will give you 4 wheel drive.

Now move the 4WD lever back to 2WD and disengage the RFW switch so the dash light goes out.

To Select 2WD Low Range.

Turn the Rocker switch OFF (LED OFF).

Move 4WD lever to Low Range and move the ute forwards, the RFW light will not come ON. This will give you 2 Wheel Drive Low Range.

When you reselect 2WD High Range, turn the rocker switch back on. This will sometimes bring the RFW light on so just push the RFW button again to turn it OFF"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to do it to mine too. It's about the only hole I could pick in my old one, so knowing there's a mod for it is brilliant. They will need some respect I would have thought - this mod will put a lot of strain on the drivetrain if only one wheel has grip. But then the rear diff should allow slip in that situation and cover it as long as you don't do anything daft.

I'm going to have to do it to mine too. It's about the only hole I could pick in my old one, so knowing there's a mod for it is brilliant. They will need some respect I would have thought - this mod will put a lot of strain on the drivetrain if only one wheel has grip. But then the rear diff should allow slip in that situation and cover it as long as you don't do anything daft.

shud be fine. On Rangers can ya shift from L to H 'on the fly' i wonder? If you can that would sooo useful when moving off on an incline with a load on or lugging a weighty trailer.

On my antique Isuzu ya hafta stop to shift from L to H so i simply negotiate the incline in 2L then stop to briefly shift back into 2H. It's ideal fer reversing the chipper / Laden Ifor into my driveway or dealing with the steep hills i have to contend with where i live.

God i love my truck.