Nhs

eggsarascal

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never able to get an answer to the question how many full time NHS staff (with jealously guarded terms & conditions of service) have sufficient "spare time" to enrol through agencies to do their usual work at twice the rate? Bit like the fire service, so much "down-time" a great proportion have second incomes.

You don't need to do regular contract hours to do agency work. Some nurses are full time agency.

I was never able to get an answer to the question how many full time NHS staff (with jealously guarded terms & conditions of service) have sufficient "spare time" to enrol through agencies to do their usual work at twice the rate? Bit like the fire service, so much "down-time" a great proportion have second incomes.

Twice the rate is misleading though isn't it? There is no holiday pay sick pay pension etc on agency work

Twice the rate is misleading though isn't it? There is no holiday pay sick pay pension etc on agency work

Yes it is misleading Richard - both ways!

It might be seen as advantageous since sick pay, holiday pay, pension, shift pattern are all enshrined and protected in the full time NHS employment and it could be that it is those favourable terms which are facilitating the availability of NHS staff for agency work.

I'd be keen to know what proportion of agency hours are satisfied by personnel within other full or part time NHS employment.

It may be very low, it may be middly or high. I can't get an answer.

If it is middly or high, I think it would significantly and adversely affect public perception of striking NHS staff if it was shown that they were complaining about hours / pay only to find they might be doing extra hours, using skills & expertise gained at public expense to reap rewards from private agency work.

The consultants do it as a matter of course.

And where would it end?

Injury playing a sport? Car accident where you are at fault? Skin cancer from too much sun?

Thin edge of a very large and unpleasant wedge, IMO.

As for people on benefits, what if they have children? Should the innocent suffer because of who their parents are?

Unfortunately there are no easy answers.

If somebody goes out and knowingly puts themselves in danger by substance abuse, why should the rest of us pick up the tab and suffer a second rate service to accomodate a deliberately self-destructive lifestyle? As for children of people who have addictions, aren't they suffering already? Why not give benefits in a form that can only be used for certain types of products, ie no alcohol or tobacco, in the form of a payment card which can only be used with photo id? Either the benefits are currently being misspent so the children are already not being cared for properly or there is sufficient excess to allow irresponsible behaviour which could be spent better on more deserving people.

Yes it is misleading Richard - both ways!

It might be seen as advantageous since sick pay, holiday pay, pension, shift pattern are all enshrined and protected in the full time NHS employment and it could be that it is those favourable terms which are facilitating the availability of NHS staff for agency work.

I'd be keen to know what proportion of agency hours are satisfied by personnel within other full or part time NHS employment.

It may be very low, it may be middly or high. I can't get an answer.

If it is middly or high, I think it would significantly and adversely affect public perception of striking NHS staff if it was shown that they were complaining about hours / pay only to find they might be doing extra hours, using skills & expertise gained at public expense to reap rewards from private agency work.

The consultants do it as a matter of course.

My friend who is a consultant gave up the private work as you need to do loads to make it pay and he has young children and did not want to commit too much time. Costs are high if you don't do much (circa £5K insurance to start)

But that's not the point.

On his department it's staffed by roughly 40% agency nurses who only work agency.

The "employed staff" all work overtime on the NHS on their normal contracts.

So no idea about "moonlighting"

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I had that absolute worst pain I have ever ever had, you want to tear your face off, I initially thought it was tooth related, came up clear on that went to gp 5 times and they were very little help, then one morning I nearly passed out with the pain and my Mrs drove me to casualty, brilliant doctor gave me this drug called tegretol, pain went almost instantly, the relief was almost worth the pain I was so happy! So yeah well done nhs,

Thanks I'll have to ask about this! I've suffered with trigeminal nerve neuralgia for about 10 years now. The only pain relief that works are tramodols not nice side effects or cannabis ingested with no side effects. All the nerve blockers make me feel like a zombie. Does stress trigger it? Mine started shortly after my wife died, consultant reckons 80% of sufferers will never find the exact reason for it. Mine may be due to a trapped / broken nerve in my jaw but the jury's still out on that one. Came very close a few years ago to have the op where they cut the nerve at the back of the head but talk to someone who has had it done first! They don't call it the suicide condition for no reason! Wish you both all the best :-)

Thanks I'll have to ask about this! I've suffered with trigeminal nerve neuralgia for about 10 years now. The only pain relief that works are tramodols not nice side effects or cannabis ingested with no side effects. All the nerve blockers make me feel like a zombie. Does stress trigger it? Mine started shortly after my wife died, consultant reckons 80% of sufferers will never find the exact reason for it. Mine may be due to a trapped / broken nerve in my jaw but the jury's still out on that one. Came very close a few years ago to have the op where they cut the nerve at the back of the head but talk to someone who has had it done first! They don't call it the suicide condition for no reason! Wish you both all the best :-)

I've only had one attack so far, lasted for 3 weeks! They tried amltryptiline first and codeine, which seemed to make it worse if anything, tegretol was amazing, worked instantly, took it for a few weeks and has not reappeared

I've only had one attack so far, lasted for 3 weeks! They tried amltryptiline first and codeine, which seemed to make it worse if anything, tegretol was amazing, worked instantly, took it for a few weeks and has not reappeared

I hope it never comes back for you!

My wife's has got steadily worse over about 8 years to the stage where the attacks can be every 2-3 days but more normally about every 10 days. Not good☹️

I hope it never comes back for you!

My wife's has got steadily worse over about 8 years to the stage where the attacks can be every 2-3 days but more normally about every 10 days. Not good☹️

Got to talking to another patient in the pain clinic who swore by cbd oil (no thc & not illegal) in a vape. It didn't stop the attacks but it put a lid on it.

Only way I can describe mine is an electrical storm arcing on my flesh, with my skull molten hot whilst feeling each layer of skin burn & a 12mm drill bit being drilled into my head at 3 different points. I've had kidney stones, been stabbed & had my appendix burst... Nothing comes close to TN

Stay away from amitriptylene!!!

But back to the op, the NHS is great not perfick but we'd all be fecked without it!