Back up bridge

stihlmadasever

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find that I rarely use the side D's on my TM, instead I use the lower D's. It's seems to be how the design of the harness has influenced my climbing style. I use a zillon as a strop which is rated for life support.

I recently LOLER 'ed a harness that had a back up bridge.

I find that I rarely use the side D's on my TM, instead I use the lower D's. It's seems to be how the design of the harness has influenced my climbing style. I use a zillon as a strop which is rated for life support.

A Zillon is rated as life support, would you want this as primary attachment at the end of a branch?

An ART positioner which I use is a work restraint lanyard and doesn't in my eyes make a life support

It was actually a loler inspector who first put it too me about the TM bridge being fragile when it came cutting implements grazing it.

He did comment he had seen some back up bridges on other TM harnesses,further to that ive seen a couple of climbers on facebook/instagram etc with what looked like back up bridges however seeing those pictures posted in this thread with harnesses with in built double bridges perhaps it was those ive seen.

A Zillon is rated as life support, would you want this as primary attachment at the end of a branch?

An ART positioner which I use is a work restraint lanyard and doesn't in my eyes make a life support

Definitely not at the end of a branch, obviously. But, working at the end of limbs means that you would be cutting well away from your bridge.

If I'm advancing through a large open canopy tree, I will often use my Zillon as primary support.

Getting back to the original subject...

I feel much safer on the Treemotion bridge than I would on the Buckingham Ergolite with its "Wickes blue polypropylene" looking rope bridge.

Taking time to get a good work position is what's needed not a second bridge!

If your worried about your bridge are you not worried about cutting your climbing line... i personally have not heard of many people cutting there bridge.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

Two bridge attachment points opens up better work position options than just a lanyard alone.

there have been a few well documented bridge failures, mostly where the original bridge has been replaced with incorrect matterial

Looks good Craig. Any other pics?

On the double bridge issue, the New Tribe Onyx has the ability to easily add in another bridge and their Nikosi harness has a built in twin bridge.

thanks

the onyx uses a small rigging plate for attachment, so if you put a second bridge in, there is no other lower d attachment point

never tried the nikosi but its looks a bit 'different' in concept