Best mainstream 4x4 pickup for towing 3.5t

Matthew Storrs

After espousing the virtues of a larger displacement engine, I just checked and my Citroen Relay is only a 2 litre! :laugh1:

If the bearings surfaces are up to the load and mean piston speed low, so wear isn't an issue (and I've had a cooked transit tdci apart at 100k miles with no discernible bore wear) then the lower internal surface area will reduce heat loss for a given power. Small swept volume in a substantial block should be better than large swept volume and proportionally lower power.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite possibly! :biggrin:

We've a 2009 Discovery 4 which we've had a year now. Touching wood, it's only needed front wheel bearings, discs and new tyres in that time. About £1440 all in, so not breaking the bank. It's not used for work though. It's effing fast and comfortable though.

I am saying nothing it might tempt fate🙊🙊

Skipped through most of the pages, sorry, but, as a land rover fan through and through I have to recommend the Land Cruiser. In Oz and here in NZ they're the work horse rather than the show pony. Oz companies use them for the interior due to the reliability and here because they're tough as nuts. I hear people rave about the diesel V8. I had the six cylinder as a company ute and it had so much torque compared to the hilux. Still heaps of them about on the roads along with the Nissan Patrol. All high kilometres and still going.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I really need to sort out a new truck but the idea of losing 500kg off my truck payload to tow a 3500kg trailer is rubbish, I had a long day delivering in my LR yesterday and my body hurts today.

The LC79 is a nice truck but having driven one with a 4.2 NA it is gutless, on paper it pushes out less power (both HP and Torque) than my 300tdi with full width intercooler, TBH I was amazed just how gutless it was on a test drive. You will not get a RHD new LC79 with the 4.2 NA engine into the UK, it doesn't meet the emission requirements, although there is a company (in holland I think) that can get the engine to meet emission requirements, but they will only sell you a complete truck, not a kit. I have been told there is some loophole about bringing them in as LHD though. as to longevity, the 4.2 NA has a different block to the 4.2 turbo, the 4.2 turbo is the one to have to last but it appears it's no longer built, but whatever engine they are all very very juicy, I met someone who owns a 4.2 turbo and his first comment was "lovely truck" his second was "stupidly thirsty". I would think towing 3500kg with the 4.2 NA would be hard work, you can get a kit to turbo the 4.2 NA, but you won't have the strengthened block, all that said it was a lovely truck to drive.

Not sure how it would work with the Australian V8 version and emissions, but apparently it would be very expensive by the time it got here, from memory if they are over a certain age then emissions don't matter when importing them from anywhere.

Had the LC79 been more powerful I would be driving one now.

I was hoping the new Amorok V6 was going to be 3500kg towing but having spoken to the dealer yesterday it's towing capacity is going to be 3100kg, 100kg less than the 2.0ltr version, so that was a waste of time on VW's part :)

I may go have a look at the new Hilux, Rangers from experience are rust buckets, and the DMax still has dealers denying there is an engine issue.

So all in all not much choice really :(

Perhaps I will just fit new comfier seats in the LR and get it soundproofed better.

Matt what's wrong with a Hilux? I see the single cab is now rated for 3500 kg and if you popped some free wheel hubs on you could run in low range 2wd. In my hunt for info on DPF problems never found any mention of Hilux's having issues.

Alternately might be worth asking a an Isuzu garage if they would personally warranty it against oil dilution. Also chat with Tavi Hire as they run Dmax's and are towing heavy loads all day long presumably without issues.

Good luck but suspect you will still have a trusty Defender for some time more :biggrin:

Plus do you all realise that the towing capacity from the makers is a recommendation & not directly enforceable in law?

High Way Code rule 98

Vehicle towing and loading (rule 98)

Rule 98

Vehicle towing and loading. As a driver

you MUST NOT tow more than your licence permits. If you passed a car test after 1 Jan 1997 you are restricted on the weight of trailer you can tow

you MUST NOT overload your vehicle or trailer.

You should not tow a weight greater than that recommended by the manufacturer of your vehicle

My bold & underline.

Should not is not directly enforceable in itself.

It is, but your are still limited by the MAM of the vehicle and trailer. Ideally you want a truck plated at 7 tonnes.

My Navara is plated at 3200 and 6200 kg, so if I tow a 3500kg trailer I lose 500kg from my vehicle MAM, which might be the difference between being able to carry passengers and tools.