Best mainstream 4x4 pickup for towing 3.5t

Matthew Storrs

There's no trouble getting parts for the bmw lump as there as common as muck in the 5 series and my pal is a BM beaker but there good for 250 + k it just seems such a cheep powerful engine to drop in,

If I was going to keep the LR engine I'd probably put a vairible vain turbo on it as that really livens things up a bit

As for the landcruiser ute the later ones are fitted with V8 twin turbo diesel or you could go for an older one with V8 petrol and fit LPG

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'

Seriously though, I think you have answered your own question, it seems modern pickups generate high horsepower from tiny engines, the land cruiser has a 6cylinder 4.2 chugging away and it's not uncommon apparently for them to achieve half a million miles etc. That aside for me though it is the utilitarian nature of them, somewhat similar to a Landy but without all the niggles landies are famous for. Also one of the few pickups with full time 4wd and solid beam axles. I wouldn't pay 40k for one but I'd happily pay more than a Landy for one too.

Do the smaller engines expire though? I here of lots of problems with trucks but it's usually electrical or if older rust. I know I had an engine issue but it appears not to be the norm. Only asking the question as not got any experience of bigger engines. Totally understand the desire for a more utilitarian truck though and full time 4wd. Now Landrovers are no longer maybe Toyota might look to bring LC into the UK?

On the other hand reading about cities banning diesels completely maybe the days of the diesel are severely numbered anyway.

Now Landrovers are no longer maybe Toyota might look to bring LC into the UK?

They missed (or a missing) a trick there.

Re the Nissan 2.8 atmo - that was just a google sorry and a used Patrol looksee. Don't know much about them. Funny how the Toyota 4.2 has almost legendary status yet Nissans similar one much less known about?

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=136333

My Daughter and Husband run a photo safari company in Botswana, they have about 9 LC on the fleet 1X300tdi and 1X109 V8 petrol. They buy in the LC off people leaving the country and totally renovate them. It's a totally different thing out there where your life can depend on your vehicle.

We went 8 miles off the tarmac road to look for Flamingoes, Meerekats, you can do that knowing you going to get back. So over here in the UK an excellant vehicle.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app

Do the smaller engines expire though? I here of lots of problems with trucks but it's usually electrical or if older rust. I know I had an engine issue but it appears not to be the norm. Only asking the question as not got any experience of bigger engines. Totally understand the desire for a more utilitarian truck though and full time 4wd. Now Landrovers are no longer maybe Toyota might look to bring LC into the UK?

On the other hand reading about cities banning diesels completely maybe the days of the diesel are severely numbered anyway.

Not sure about the smaller engines expiring- but doubt they have really been around long enough to know long term- it seems like they have really been getting smaller in the last 5 years or so. And off course what they are subjected to. Just normal driving and towing a ton or two every now and again they may go on because no doubt manufacturing design has improved too(? Much like a Volkswagen Golf (for example) may easily go into 200k miles plus. But I'd think if a 4.2 vs 2.2 towing 3.5ton on a regular basis I'd know where my money would be on.

Now Landrovers are no longer maybe Toyota might look to bring LC into the UK?

Unfortunately, from what I can make of it anyway, the new 4.5l Diesel in the 79 Land Cruiser does not meet European emissions standards, so it won't be coming here any time soon I don't expect.

It seems the options are left hand drive 4.2 non turbo models or a 4l V6 petrol engine in RHD, which actually doesn't show bad economy figures considering what it is.

The tax is what kills them. 22% on import, added to the vehicle value, then 20% VAT on the total. All in all, an over 40% increase on the initial purchase value. I would pay £20k for one but I sure as hell won't pay £40k.... Used! I can kill four good second hand Rangers for that money and they're solid enough that I don't think a 79 LC will outlive them all.

I'd love one, but they're just not viable for me right now.

Edit... I should add that the chaps at Overlander have been extremely helpful in giving me information about them. If I ever do spend my money on one it will most likely be from them. I can't fault their communication.

Edited by njc110381

Unfortunately, from what I can make of it anyway, the new 4.5l Diesel in the 79 Land Cruiser does not meet European emissions standards, so it won't be coming here any time soon I don't expect.

It seems the options are left hand drive 4.2 non turbo models or a 4l V6 petrol engine in RHD, which actually doesn't show bad economy figures considering what it is.

The tax is what kills them. 22% on import, added to the vehicle value, then 20% VAT on the total. All in all, an over 40% increase on the initial purchase value. I would pay £20k for one but I sure as hell won't pay £40k.... Used! I can kill four good second hand Rangers for that money and they're solid enough that I don't think a 79 LC will outlive them all.

I'd love one, but they're just not viable for me right now.

Edit... I should add that the chaps at Overlander have been extremely helpful in giving me information about them. If I ever do spend my money on one it will most likely be from them. I can't fault their communication.

A good way to look at it and I would imagine the ranger is a better drive and easier to get spares for. My 100 series LC are long lived but not without their problems and the price of parts is often 5 times as much as discovery especially if you run the new v8 landcrusier no easy answer and much comes down to luck.

A good way to look at it and I would imagine the ranger is a better drive and easier to get spares for. My 100 series LC are long lived but not without their problems and the price of parts is often 5 times as much as discovery especially if you run the new v8 landcrusier no easy answer and much comes down to luck.

This is what I love about my defender, if I need a part it's down to my local Land Rover parts place and they have it on the shelf, it doesn't usually cost the earth and I can nearly alwAys fit it myself and I don't consider myself a mechanical whizz. The LC no doubt has a fantastic engine but when I looked under one at the APF I didn't really think the chassis or running gear looked any heavier duty really than my defender. So it would have to last at least twice as long as a defender to justify the price tag and the rust would get to it even if it could.