Too many tree surgeons?!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?

• Far too many; so much competition I can barely survive!
    • Not too many but don't need any more!
    • Could do with a few more to be honest!
    • Nowhere near enough. So much wood and so little expertise!

i was working beside a little back road on Saturday and counted 6 different tree surgeons of various type go past me on their way to jobs. I'm glad I'm not a builder though, in this village there are about 7, tree wise there is only myself and my immediate neighbour who does line clearance. There enough room for everybody, though tonight I was quoting for a job and she was getting 10 quotes wtf? Cant understand the logic behind that, the jobs only worth about 350 tops.

Without a shadow of doubt.

:001_tt2:

Actually if you look at the smaller firms who do it all by the books then most of them have old tatty looking vans( myself included) its the ones that dont pay tax,insurance etc that can fork out for a nice new one!

Well imo anyway :001_smile:

Agree but I seriously look after my kit as shabby kit was too easy to emulate. Trouble is keeping a "Pimlico Plumbers" style business is a lot of aggro and costs crap loads... And not a penny misses the books...

Heres my gripe of the day. Priced a job which was excepted 3 weeks ago. Got a call today to cancel me as they have a cheaper quote.

What sort of tit goes out getting more quotes once they have instructed a contractor to do the job?

Prob a cold caller mate,i had same 2 weeks ago,pikey door knocking,fella told him he already had some one to do job,he said he would do it cheaper and asked if he could have job,fortunately the customer had morals and declined,its people like that who are spoiling it for legit firms imo

If someone was working a second job stacking shelves in a supermarket at weekends would that offend or would you think good on them for working hard and providing for their families??

It seriously offends me when Firefighters do it

A: They mostly sit around on their backsides

B: Lives depend on them being fresh and alert

C: They earn a good wage as it is

D: I stopped one I know from killing himself and finished the job safely for him

E: They are not allowed to have a hazardous second job

F: They have a job where there are 3 million unemployed, let someone who desperately needs a job take the second job not a greedy Fireman

G: I could go on

What sort of tit goes out getting more quotes once they have instructed a contractor to do the job?

Hmmm quite a few, at least they called you to say not to bother, turned up at jobs before that have been booked in only to get there and find a load of sawdust:cursing:

They prob got a call from another competitor who had also quoted then lowered there price on you.

what gripes me the most, and thankfully it hasnt happened to me.....is the guys who go looking on the council websites for planning applications done by other tree surgeons then go contacting the clients undercutting the work

now thats desprate measures doing that :sneaky2: & probaly a good hint of cowboy in there operations too having to steal there work :thumbdown: