Too many tree surgeons?!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?

• Far too many; so much competition I can barely survive!
    • Not too many but don't need any more!
    • Could do with a few more to be honest!
    • Nowhere near enough. So much wood and so little expertise!

I am not saying for one moment it is easy running your own company and not every day you will earn a lot more than a lead climber.

You wouldn't run your own business if the money and the rewards didn't exceed a lead climbers money as it would be pointless!!

A bit contradictory there, but, the best way to find out is have a go.

Even if you dont earn as much as the blokes, you dont turn around and say "Im throwing in the towel"

i paid 10 hrs wages today for 7 hrs earning work. i take the hit every time. a road was closed so had to take a detour on the way, had to wait about for going over stuff with the customer then wait for payment, look at a job on the way home. i dont get paid for that. if i dont do it then i done get any more work

It is very cheap to set your self up you can get a truck, climbing kit and a couple of saws for less than five grand. That sort of money is very easy to raise for start up costs, so makes having your own tree surgery company far too accessible.

!

Some days dependant on weather and circumstance my groundy earns more than me.

I reckon I come out with 25% of what I earn in the day after tax and overheads and I carry a huge amount of stress around with me too. I didn't sleep last night because of the weather report I couldn't decide which job we were doing today which would leave us the driest as I cannot afford to have the day off.

You go for it Nickos, if I can find an alternative business to run I'd be coming out of this business

There are days where everythings rosy, the money rolls in on time, and you think to yourself "waayhaaay this is the life" then everything goes tits up one way or another. Machines break down, jobs get cancelled, the weather turns bad and so on. A colleague came with me the other week, does his own work, I paid him fairly for a fair days work, and he told me that he'd be better off working for me at that rate than chasing around, running kit at a loss. All employees see is the fat number on the quotes/invoices, and dont realise how much expense has to come out of each cheque.

Yes, go for it, it'll either make or break you!! Its the best and worst of times rolled into a rollercoaster ride of emotions, drive you to the pits of despair, and the highest of highs.:001_smile:

Oh and dont pick up any injuries or sickness, the business wont run itself!

i think think problem is that people think its cool job..so they go to college or do short course and think they can earn big bucks. prob is you need to learn the trade first.

nothing more annoying than a tree surgeon with all the tickets and gear..who has no idea how to do basic removal.

If you can't do almost every tree you quote..you need to learn more before going into business

Some days dependant on weather and circumstance my groundy earns more than me.

I reckon I come out with 25% of what I earn in the day after tax and overheads and I carry a huge amount of stress around with me too. I didn't sleep last night because of the weather report I couldn't decide which job we were doing today which would leave us the driest as I cannot afford to have the day off.

You go for it Nickos, if I can find an alternative business to run I'd be coming out of this business

Story of my life - lack of sleep - absolute bu66er. Hope the day goes well for you Dean. :001_smile:

£120 a day for the lead climb £100 for 2nd climber £80 for the groundei thats £300 a day in wages befor you leave the yard + insurance + motors etc ??????? any coments :001_huh:

good wages! as long as your workers make you money...pay peanuts you get monkeys! pay well you get good tree surgeons.

If you are paying weel and they are losing you money..then there are plenty other tree surgeons desperate for work out there. :001_smile:

Story of my life - lack of sleep - absolute bu66er. Hope the day goes well for you Dean. :001_smile:

Cheers TCD

It turns out after all the tossing and turning all night trying to replan my schedule that the weather report this morning when I got up had changed and all was well, did the job I had planned and got a bonus small take down next door :thumbup:

you have no idea how nieve this sounds mate. once you start your own business thats it, you cant just say one day, i have had enough. there is consequences for your actions. andyou have bills to pay, i have went months with no wages, sleepless nights and stress. why? so i could pay others wages because it is a big responsibility holding someone finances in your hands. when the chipper breaks down wages need paid, when a car is left across a driveway and you cant work it costs you money, putting money in the bank cost you money, taking your money out of the bank costs you money. 120 quid a day, thats 600 quid a week, 30k a year. i would take that job tomorrow.

:w00t: Yep me too mate!