Too many tree surgeons?!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?

• Far too many; so much competition I can barely survive!
    • Not too many but don't need any more!
    • Could do with a few more to be honest!
    • Nowhere near enough. So much wood and so little expertise!

whilst working in west suffolk for only a few days we saw 4 different companies driving around.

if you search 'tree surgeons' within 25 miles of my postcode on yell.com, you get about 30-40 results!

i wonder what the figures are for newly qualified vs. recently retired over the last few years....

far to many lot of them working for nothing poor work prices so low bad reductions yet you cant find cutters cos every ones a tree surgeon

so

are there now too many tree surgeons? Has anything changed in 2 years

I see the business often as an extension to landscape firms (as it has been with us, in fact now comprising a third of our business) who have contacts with large gardens/companies and with a bit of effort/investment can do their own tree work as an add-on service.

No different to general builders I guess.

I am one of the landscaping firms that decided to do our own tree work. Around 7 years ago we had a client that had a huge Lime in a very prominent position at the front of there property which dropped a limb in high wind. A company gave her a quote to reduce it what we ended up with was a pollard and a bad one at that cuts on stupid angles terrible shape. The client was mortified so i looked in to getting my tickets which i had with in twelve months and hired a decent climber who had been in the game a long time who taught me on the job. The aim at first was to just look after trees on our clients sites so we had no more cowboys in. But it has grown into a viable business on its own and now accounts for 50% of our income.

Yes there are to many tree firms about charging very little for shoddy work. We are all fighting for the same jobs but i have a steady exceptance of quotes and some of the other quotes have been half of what mine have.

Its finding the ones that want a good job done and are willing to pay for it not just the cheapest.

ps excuse poor spelling grammar punctuation

Far too many, fencers doing it, landscapers doing it, firemen doing it, rubbish clearance guys doing it.

I think if work slows we should all train to do fencing, landscaping etc we have the main kit already :thumbup:

Well I reckon you're right,the amount of hedges I removed and ground in the UK so a fencer could come and do his thing was ridic.

Shoukl have done it myself. (after learning how to do it porperly of course!)

Hold on! I've just had a brilliant idea.

Here's what we do, When a client wants his tree trimmed we say "oh no mate! you cannot just trim it or the poor wickle tree will die, what we have to do is go out to the ends of the branches and take off a foot or so, no more!" They can teach this to newbs at college

So as a consequence we have to go back every year and do it again.Work for everyone! we'll call it EDUCATING THE CLIENT. We get the tree officers in on it (no one argues with them)

Do you think we'll get away with it?

Hold on! I've just had a brilliant idea.

Here's what we do, When a client wants his tree trimmed we say "oh no mate! you cannot just trim it or the poor wickle tree will die, what we have to do is go out to the ends of the branches and take off a foot or so, no more!" They can teach this to newbs at college

So as a consequence we have to go back every year and do it again.Work for everyone! we'll call it EDUCATING THE CLIENT. We get the tree officers in on it (no one argues with them)

Do you think we'll get away with it?

Can't see it catching on myself

Round our way what really makes me laugh are the transit panel vans being loaded up through the side door and the rest strapped to the roof, what must the client be thinking?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I don't get what's wrong with that? Is it illegal to do tree work without a tipper or pickup?

So you have seen someone out working, using what they have to get the job done. Well done to them.

I use my VW polo for tree work sometimes.

Suprising how much cord wood fits in the back!