Loler/Manufacture Date/Actual Use

Gary Prentice

I'm sorting out kit (cos I've no personal life:001_smile:) and noticed one of the harnesses was manufactured in 09. First use -from new, was January 2011.

Having searched on the HSE website and on here I'm still puzzled. Generally, is there an maximum age for fabric items and ropes. Whens it start: production or first use?

Searches on here are indicating old harnesses in use up to ten years, and of course that would dependent on condition. Answers would be preferred with links to official sites and guidelines.

I've a cupboard with unused gear in, some of the slings are four or five years old (manufacture date), so are they becoming worthless?

I suppose I should be asking our examiner, but from searching different LOLER inspectors sites there seems some variance in the conclusions.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for a definitive answer -either way, rather than opinion or hearsay. If the HSE are of the opinion that it is up to the individual inspector, it must be stated as such somewhere. Or does it simply enter the 'fit for purpose' category?

It would seem odd, to my mind, that something like this would be subjective (think thats the right term). One examiner saying failed because its x years old and another passing it.

Sorry no definitive answer here btggaz, but i recently had a 14yr old Cresto harness lolered. The loler chap did say it will need inspecting again in 3 months as apposed to the normal 6 because of its age, but it was deemed fit for use.

I think different manufacturers will will have different shelf/use lifes. Remember though, at the end of the day its an ass covering exercise.

I'm sorting out kit (cos I've no personal life:001_smile:) and noticed one of the harnesses was manufactured in 09. First use -from new, was January 2011.

Having searched on the HSE website and on here I'm still puzzled. Generally, is there an maximum age for fabric items and ropes. Whens it start: production or first use?

Searches on here are indicating old harnesses in use up to ten years, and of course that would dependent on condition. Answers would be preferred with links to official sites and guidelines.

I've a cupboard with unused gear in, some of the slings are four or five years old (manufacture date), so are they becoming worthless?

I suppose I should be asking our examiner, but from searching different LOLER inspectors sites there seems some variance in the conclusions.

Hi Gaz,

I've just done the LOLER exams ticket so I'm very new to it. There are guys on here who are much more knowledgeable.

The key here is the manufacturers recommendations. Most state 5 years . Textiles degrade. To go against the manufacturers recommendations is putting his backside on the line (and yours!)

I know that during the NPTC exam if you passed a peice of kit that was past it's date you would fail the exam.

If you did the same thing out in the field and something failed and you had passed it when it was out of date..... It would all come back to you. Your professional indemnity insurance wouldn't cover you because you had stepped outside the guidelines.

I could pass say, a rope that was slightly out of date and know that it would most likely be fine for another 6 months... But if something went wrong.....,,,

The question to ask here is really to the manufacturer . What do the dates cover... Manufacture date or first use?

To step outside the dates is asking your LOLER guy to gamble.

Hope this helps

Timon

The question to ask here is really to the manufacturer . What do the dates cover... Manufacture date or first use?

Timon

And of course manufactures will state the smallest amount of time that they can get away with because then you have to buy more kit from them. Stinks doesn't it.

Dad's climbing on one of my retired Weavers after his harness got stolen a few years back and probably still uses ropes that are older than me!

It depends. How has it been stored is the key, fabric degrades in UV light, if the kit has been stored in the dark you can introduce it and start your 5 year usage from there. But you must have documented history to show when it was bought into service.We inspectors use date of manufacture usually as there is no date of introduction paperwork. Another example is a rescue kit that is never used could potentially be fit for purpose for 10 years or more. Remember that the 6 monthly regime for PPE is a MAXIMUM time limit between inspections.

There are 2 forces in play here, there is what the manufacturer is happy for you to do with the product and the LOLER regs.

If the item were otherwise allowable under LOLER but were out of date by the manufacturers recommendations, it fails under that criteria and fails under LOLER for being outside the manufacturers recommendations.

And of course manufactures will state the smallest amount of time that they can get away with because then you have to buy more kit from them. Stinks doesn't it.

Dad's climbing on one of my retired Weavers after his harness got stolen a few years back and probably still uses ropes that are older than me!

Or perhaps they have done exhaustive testing to see where the likely failure point would be to keep you safe from injury and them out of the courts???