New chainsaw

Richard 1234

Hi I'm looking to get a new saw slightly bigger than the ms170 I have. Only for occasional use. Any recommendations would be appreciated I have thought about a Stihl Ms 180 but interested

In other ideas. Want to spend around £200 but can stretch the budget for the right saw. Many thanks

I suppose it depends how hard you work it and how long you want the investment to last you.

I am an occasional user for home firewood so bought a ms251 thinking this was top of the diy range it would be ideal. After a month the single bar clamping bolt pulled out of the casing. Reading up it appears that ALL single bolt saws are a poor engineering solution.

I managed to return the saw in px against a new ms261 and this was a big step forward. The build was in a different class and has so far provided a good solution. I anticipate changing the needle bearing (£10) once a year so as to avoid the crank problems others have experienced.

A ms 261 does blow your budget a bit but a less expensive saw might not be the answer.

I suppose it depends how hard you work it and how long you want the investment to last you.

I am an occasional user for home firewood so bought a ms251 thinking this was top of the diy range it would be ideal. After a month the single bar clamping bolt pulled out of the casing. Reading up it appears that ALL single bolt saws are a poor engineering solution.

I managed to return the saw in px against a new ms261 and this was a big step forward. The build was in a different class and has so far provided a good solution. I anticipate changing the needle bearing (£10) once a year so as to avoid the crank problems others have experienced.

A ms 261 does blow your budget a bit but a less expensive saw might not be the answer.

Hi thanks all

The budget is more in my head than anything else as I do have money left in the tools budget so I would rather buy something better and pay more. I would like it to last as long as possible really but it will only come out maybe 12-15 times a year so not much use really.

I had a quick look at the echo saws and they seem to have good warranty on them. 16 inch bar is the maximum I would use as I don't go near big trees. It's really for logs, small takedowns and small wind blown trees.

Hi,

Agree entirely on single bolt to secure the bar, I'm not sure how that came to be so widespread but its so wrong.

I have fairly demanding use of my saws & much prefer the pro saws over the 'home owner' offerings, well worth spending more & getting something that will last.

N

By the most expensive pro saw you can afford in the size/capacity you need .

Good advice Andy, you may get up to a second hand MS260 or 346XP with that money but condition is everything with purchasing used kit. The 350 Husqvarna is a good option or something like the MS250!

For home use I reckon a 50cc Mak or Echo would be a solid bet. There was a decent 50cc Makita with storage box on eBay a while ago, looked a good deal.

Edit: here you go, bit over your budget, but cheaper than a new pro stihl or Husqy.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371273650167

Edited by Joe Newton

For home use I reckon a 50cc Mak or Echo would be a solid bet. There was a decent 50cc Makita with storage box on eBay a while ago, looked a good deal.

Edit: here you go, bit over your budget, but cheaper than a new pro stihl or Husqy.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371273650167

Hi,

Makita / Dolmar get plenty of recommends

Also available on Amazon UK for about £30 more, your ebay link is priced in dollars to me but states

'Item location: Hamilton, United Kingdom' possibly Shavey ?

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DCS5121-45-Professional-Petrol-Chainsaw/dp/B00CQ6G87A]Makita DCS5121-45 PROMO 50cc Professional Petrol Chainsaw 45cm: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21Qw2Zp1m6L.@@AMEPARAM@@21Qw2Zp1m6L[/ame]

N

Edited by NFG