Winch Cables

TGB

Not sure that this is the right place but here goes.

Are winch cables subject to LOLER regs? I'm wondering, as a guy I sometimes help out, has two cables he uses for varied tasks. I've seen them used for hauling timber upper steep gradients with a tractor, winching trees over and dragging various things. I have no idea how old they are and he can't remember.

Both the cables have both ends crimped in eyes. One of the cables, has a number of bad kinks and is fraying at one end. I have serious doubts about this particular cable, since I'm often the one on the winch.

He's one of these people, who professes to have done it all. I asked him if his cables needed to go through LOLER. "Never heard the word. What is it?" I gave him the broad strokes. "I expect not... must be something new."

Not sure that this is the right place but here goes.

Are winch cables subject to LOLER regs? I'm wondering, as a guy I sometimes help out, has two cables he uses for varied tasks. I've seen them used for hauling timber upper steep gradients with a tractor, winching trees over and dragging various things. I have no idea how old they are and he can't remember.

Both the cables have both ends crimped in eyes. One of the cables, has a number of bad kinks and is fraying at one end. I have serious doubts about this particular cable, since I'm often the one on the winch.

He's one of these people, who professes to have done it all. I asked him if his cables needed to go through LOLER. "Never heard the word. What is it?" I gave him the broad strokes. "I expect not... must be something new."

Many moons ago I went on a winching course and I made reference to a winch cable and the Northerner that ran the course stood back and bellowed back at me " cables for T lectricians , winches have rope ". And yes if winch is being used commercially the ropes :) should have an annual inspection.

Bob

As far as I know, if they are used for lifting, then yes. If only used for pulling and not lifting, then LOLER doesn't apply.

However other regs eg PUWER require tools and equipment to be safe and fit for purpose so a regular inspection regime is highly advisable.

Winch Safety and Legal Information

If you are only dragging something along the ground it probably does not need it .If you are winching trees to control where they land that changes the nature of the beast and that is pretty much what we on here will be using a winch for.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

We use a local crane hire place called able lifting, the guy looks at the cable(sorry rope) and counts the number of broken fibres in relation to cross section. I think it's something like 12 or more and it fails.

As for the crimped end he says you don't need a crimp and you can use 3 of those clamp thingys. Which is handy if you snap the rope in the woods you can at least finish a job!

Able lifting in poole is the chap

Cheers:thumbup:

technically if the wire rope & winch is only used for pulling & dragging loads it will not need lolering. That said if pulling a tree through vertical you are lifting it until it passes through vertical and it should be lolered. that said i'm sure most people just gloss over the angle of what they are winching. were it to be used to form a high line or winch things off the ground it would also need lolering so it depends on the application. either way you should examine it your self.

Skylines and high leads all need lolering as they lift as part of their function. Your regular winches don't although the point about winch assisting is interesting so i guess they need lolering too.

It's 5% of the cable fraying is when they're nackered. crushing and damage are also big no nos. We have ours PUWER inspected and it would fail every year on rope damage.