Foot in the door, Bristol.

JJW

I'm posting here looking for some advice,

I'm 24, a graduate in English Language and have worked in various offices for a few years now. I've always thought i'd like a career as an arborist/ tree surgeon, but seeing as I've only had experience working in offices the transition is a confusing one.

I currently have no relevant qualifications/ CSCS card, (other than a head for heights and some climbing experience in my youth) and was hoping for some advice on the best way to enter the field. There seem to be a few pricey courses avaliable, however I am unsure as to whether these are necessary, in order to start work as a groundsman/ labourer?

Any information/ advice from people already in the business on the best way to get involved would be greatly appreciated, so far all the jobs I have seen advertised require experience, which is a bit of a catch 22 if you're looking for first time employment within the sector.

Cheers in advance for reading this rambling first post.

I would say 24 is a very good age to start, old enough to know what you might really want to do, not too old that you're playing catch up.

Groundsman/laborer is an entry I guess, but it's poorly paid gutty work.

I would say get on the blower to the companies and offer to work as a brush dragger for a day or two. Many companies have busy days where someone extra will come in handy. Don't expect more than 50 odd quid in your hand, but it will give you an idea of what you're letting yourself in for.

If your still game after that you'll have to do some courses and get qualified.

• 1 month later...

Emailed all the companies I could find in Bristol, the only one that replied to me said I need the a qualification in order to start work, or to get an apprentiship. As such, now looking at going to College back in suffolk where I'm origionally from. Any thoughts on whether going to college for a year to begin with or doing an expensive intensive course is the best way to go?

It might be Bristol - I'm also trying to get into Arb around Bristol. Offered to work for nothing even to get some experience but nothing really came of it.

I've signed up for a basic course so at least be able to get some work experience after that.

Its the first time I've ever offered to work for nothing and had people turn me down.

Sorry to hear of you two pulling blanks, but........

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/91769-tree-surgeons-like-confetti.html

I'm sure you've read this. It should be a sticky!

Every time someone comes on and says "am I too old ?" or suchlike and all and sundry start with the "follow your dream" x factor stuff they should peruse it.

Be careful what you wish for.