Hardwood true of false

predator

As i,am just a logburner so to speak i got to ask this is there a listing available for whats hardwood whats soft wood as i hav,nt a clue as i did ask an expert and his reply was best way to test if its hardwood was belt it with a hammer you will know hardwood with the rebound and sound his he winding me up ? please help me to learn how to tell etc easy way ideas please ??

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardwoods are broad leaves, softwoods are evergreens! Sums it up pretty much.

To go into detail it's to do with the vessels in the wood, where hardwood is made up of xylem vessels, and softwoods use tracheids to transport nutrients.

So what are these then

Swamp cypress,

Evergreen oak,

Holly

Ginkgo?????

Personally I go by light (in weight) woods give off great instant heat and light easily, e.g spruce, pine

Heavy denser wood burns for a longer time but gives off a lower temp of heat and not as easy to catch alight. E.g oak

Edited by firewoodman

So what are these then

Swamp cypress, Conifer, deciduous, most likely softwood

Evergreen oak, Evergreen, hardwood, although could be cork oak

Holly Evergreen, hardwood

Ginkgo????? Conifer, softwood

Personally I go by light (in weight) woods give off great instant heat and light easily, e.g spruce, pine

Heavy denser wood burns for a longer time but gives off a lower temp of heat and not as easy to catch alight. E.g oak

in red:thumbup:

So what are these then

Swamp cypress,

Evergreen oak,

Holly

Ginkgo?????

I should have said conifers, as it slipped my mind that you can get broadleaved evergreens!

Holly is a hardwood

Evergreen oak is a hardwood

Ginkgo I'm unsure, it did pop into my mind, i shall be doing some reading on these.

Swamp cypress I would assume softwood

Open to corrections, these are off the top of my head.