Log arch

Mike Dempsey

Hi

Me and a mate have the opportunity of acquiring 3 large oaks soona and because each of them are over 3' in dia have decided to get them to a sawmill instead of using the alaskan mill set up we have. They are approx 75m from the road side. Althought the ground has a decent wide track to them it will still be too soft for the hiab when loaded up with the 9 logs at 8' lengths. My mate has a landy and we were wondering does anyone sell log arches in the uk or have access to plans. We have drawings of one model are are just looikg to see if anything else is out there to compare them with. I know TCF engineering make them but at £675 or thereabouts for one which will take a 28'' dia log isnt big enough. I know he makes them to order but I think it might be hitt the 1k mark . Our one has to be able to take a 40'' log minimum. We have a lot of the bits already and will just have to buy the steel in for the job.

We only plan to lift up the front of the log and skid it out the short distance to the hiab and then off to the mill.

Any one got any comments or advice or do we sound like a couple of idiots.

PS I ran out of chain oil last week and due to the literally 1000's of trees which came down in the Tuesday gales only one local dealer had any left. I had to pay £13 for 2 single litre bottles of oregon oil. Is this a record or can anyone beat it!!!!!

cheers

Mike

As my mate lives about 20 miles away, by the time he pays for diesel, oil and petrol for the saws, chains etc it will be as cheap making a log arch as we have most of the parts, and taking them to a sawmill in a hiab. Using the alaskan mill for about 6 working days will be very hard work. My cabinet making/ laser engraving business is getting very busy just now and its ironic because I am needing to use a lot of oak for several projects and I dont have enough at present. Getting the trees to the sawmill will save a lot of time. The log arch will be used in another job as well where we have several oak, ash and beech to do.

Mike

I can see why you would want a log arch if you have a number of butts to extract on different sites, but it's going to have to be really heavy duty for that size.

If most of what you obtain is considerably smaller, could it be worth extracting the three very large butts with a winch, either over rollers (telegraph poles) or just dragged, with the bark on and then de-barking roadside to remove the grit?

Does the landy have a front winch? Otherwise, a day's hire of a 5ton dumper may work out worthwhile - I used one to drag out a 2'6" x 20' butt with no problems earlier this year.

Alec

find the nearest farm with a decent telehandler and offer them some notes to shift it for you. It'd prob be cheaper and easier than building your own log arch as it'd be a fair construction to shift them monsters!!! Telehandler, pallet forks, chain and drag away if they're toooo big to lift outright.

Hi

Me and a mate have the opportunity of acquiring 3 large oaks soona and because each of them are over 3' in dia have decided to get them to a sawmill instead of using the alaskan mill set up we have. They are approx 75m from the road side. Althought the ground has a decent wide track to them it will still be too soft for the hiab when loaded up with the 9 logs at 8' lengths. My mate has a landy and we were wondering does anyone sell log arches in the uk or have access to plans. We have drawings of one model are are just looikg to see if anything else is out there to compare them with. I know TCF engineering make them but at £675 or thereabouts for one which will take a 28'' dia log isnt big enough. I know he makes them to order but I think it might be hitt the 1k mark . Our one has to be able to take a 40'' log minimum. We have a lot of the bits already and will just have to buy the steel in for the job.

We only plan to lift up the front of the log and skid it out the short distance to the hiab and then off to the mill.

Any one got any comments or advice or do we sound like a couple of idiots.

PS I ran out of chain oil last week and due to the literally 1000's of trees which came down in the Tuesday gales only one local dealer had any left. I had to pay £13 for 2 single litre bottles of oregon oil. Is this a record or can anyone beat it!!!!!

cheers

Mike

HI mike yes i have a igland 5.5ton winch for sale its in trader mate jon :thumbup:

Thats a cracking log arch you've made JPH.

Unfortunately I dont know any farmers or have access to a tractor so I think we will be heading down the homemade route. The both of us are pretty good at welding and my workshop has a big welding factory nearby so if the dont have what we need in their skip I will buy it off them. Their prices are pretty good and they can cut to good tolerances as well. I know this log arch is going to have to be heavy duty and we will probably over engineer it in the end. We just want to lift up the front of the log and then drag it out with the landy. We dont have too far to go so hopefully we can drag them out in the morning and get them lifted in the afternoon

Mike