roof mount crane tractor

njtimber

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100hp min I would say, 6pot engine making the tractor longer so more stable, only ever used botex and forestaria now kesla roof mounts but both good.

Big problem I found with the crane on the roof in thinning work was getting it from travel position to the back as always seem to be a tree in the way also when driving through the stand you had to have your wits about you to avoid hitting anything with the crane as you turn.

Personally if I were you just extracting thinings I'd stick to a trailer mount as it's not dedicating a tractor to a role so easier to upgrade or borrow something if you're 1 brackets down to keep working.

when im going into a tight spot with ours I knuckle the boom behind the cab gotta mind and steer it now and then though :biggrin: also one advantage of having tractor mounted is you can steer the trailer with it sometimes, found that most usefull when ive had to go into somewhere where there's sod all room to turn around to get out just remember to turn before you load :lol: only ever used botex tractor cranes meself so cant comment on any others, as for HP as much as you can squeeze in the space available!

I have a 6400 with roof mount 570 and its very stable indeed. With a 4 pot you can slot into spaces and the tractor is very nimble. If you put a float valve in the block you dont have the back and forth crane movement, instead the rams go into a sort of limp mode and move accordingly as the tractor is driven with the crane sat on the trailer. Having run trailer cranes id never go back now ive got the roof mount as they are so versatile.

Cheers,

Andrew

IIf you put a float valve in the block you dont have the back and forth crane movement, instead the rams go into a sort of limp mode and move accordingly as the tractor is driven with the crane sat on the trailer. Having run trailer cranes id never go back now ive got the roof mount as they are so versatile.

The FMV came with a float valve but the Cranab just had a tap between the hoses. Trouble is that in float on the trailer it would fall off the load or the hose fittings would get bashed so normally easier to fold the loader behind the cab.