Is larch worth milling ?

kinderscout

Ker ching....... wimmer mill soon then...:biggrin:

Not really - it's pretty rustic grade stock, and somehow I made a catastrophic miscalculation and it's only 685m, not just over 4000. :001_huh: Friday afternoon quoting after spending all day wrestling with stupid little cherry logs cutting them for a customer.

Not really - it's pretty rustic grade stock, and somehow I made a catastrophic miscalculation and it's only 685m, not just over 4000. :001_huh: Friday afternoon quoting after spending all day wrestling with stupid little cherry logs cutting them for a customer.

don't you just love the customers who bring you firewood to mill, I had somebody turn up with some yew bits that were only 24" long a few weeks back....

As for larch, go for it , am currently machining up cladding that I have cut and dried ,9" x 1", approx. 800mts of it, it seems endless...... oh for a big four sided planer!

don't you just love the customers who bring you firewood to mill, I had somebody turn up with some yew bits that were only 24" long a few weeks back....

As for larch, go for it , am currently machining up cladding that I have cut and dried ,9" x 1", approx. 800mts of it, it seems endless...... oh for a big four sided planer!

The larch is actually my stock, but it's only for planters, so it doesn't need to be top notch.

We've got a four side planer which has seen a lot of use in recent months for T&G cladding, but I'm particularly excited about the prospect of an edger, for resawing those first waney edged boards you cut as you square your way into a cant. Resawing them is a major pain and an edger might be a touch more wasteful, but worth it in the end.