Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Large equipment Discuss wood chippers, stump grinders, and other arb equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-04-12   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Radial vs cross-ply tyres for trailer

hello all, the tyres on my twin axle trailer are going to need replacing fairly soon. At the moment I have crossply tyres but have seen radial tyres with m+s (mud&snow I think) rating available, though they're a bit dearer. Was wondering if anyone has any experience of what the pros/cons of either type of tyre are? I use the trailer mostly for deliveries (logs etc.) but also use it in the woods to extract material. Thanks, Rob S
Old 30-04-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as catweazel

Re: Radial vs cross-ply tyres for trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stringer View Post
hello all, the tyres on my twin axle trailer are going to need replacing fairly soon. At the moment I have crossply tyres but have seen radial tyres with m+s (mud&snow I think) rating available, though they're a bit dearer. Was wondering if anyone has any experience of what the pros/cons of either type of tyre are? I use the trailer mostly for deliveries (logs etc.) but also use it in the woods to extract material. Thanks, Rob S
Given the same ply rating I think radials beat crossplies for most things, like economy and grip

There is one advantage of crossplies and that is they withstand sidewall damage better.