Rolled my chipper today!

Shane

Pretty crap start to the day.

Pulled up outside house on the corner of two roads.

Decided it would be better to set up the other way round so easiect to nip round the corner, turn round then come back in facing the 'best' way.

Eased round the corner (forgetting I had pulled up tight to the kerb) and pulled away at a quick walking pace (its an older tranny so that has to be true).

Next thing theres an almighty crash behind and ther in the mirror is the chipper on its side!:blushing:

We leapt out and stood it up with the help of a passer-by (so no photos to oggle at) as quick as possible.

It's a greenmech 15-23 so the folded up infeed chute and off side wheel arch took the brunt of it.

The rest looked OK.

Moved it to where we were going to work and just had a time out to think through what we could do.

It was still towable, the oil level in the engine was spot on, flywheel etc all seemed OK.

After a few minutes we turned the engine over slowly and there was no hydraulic resistance so we fired it up.

It ran fine, the rollers and everything were working (even the stop bar).

After 5 minutes leaning on the infeed chute we managed to get it into the working position. We then got on and did the job.

More permanent fixes due at the workshop later but it held out.:001_smile:

Greenmech were very supportive when I phined them to see if anything else needed checking prior to running it.

Feeling relieved and embarrassed (getting jip from the guys).

Went back to check on what happened.

There was a tyre mark on the side of the kerb, rising onto the path as it went round. The tightness of the curve, combined with a bit of velocity and my stupidity resulted in a potential nasty.

Just grateful nothing was coming the other way:001_huh:

Be careful out there

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things I didn't want to do today-

1. Roll the chipper

2. Start yet another ###kin debate about which chipper is best,

just a warning of how easy it is to do (maybe TWs dont roll as easily anyway - and how many would we have needed to right a Bandit?)

Two things I didn't want to do today-

1. Roll the chipper

2. Start yet another ###kin debate about which chipper is best,

just a warning of how easy it is to do (maybe TWs dont roll as easily anyway - and how many would we have needed to right a Bandit?)

Very true, nearly did my TW at 50mph once, looked in the rear view mirror to see it jumping from wheel to wheel! Nothing I could do but keep going straight at the same speed.

Back in 1997 I done a bit of work for a well known arb company in Surrey and I was a passenger in a van towing a little Vermeer that turned over after clipping a kerb at about 30mph, quite a mess of that machine. Easy done though.

That was a known issue with them little vemeers... hence the introduction of wider wheels bases. I remember my old boss having to shell out a few times. I think it was around 2 grand each time it happened, and that was back in the mid 90's

Rolled my little camon chipper twice in one month both times doing a tight right hand turn and both at less than 10 mph.

Tried to drive the tracked tw out of the tipper body and down the loading ramp of a trailer only the brake on the trailer closed up and the ramp fell out of the tipper followed by the chipper:thumbup: all in a days work.