Warning signage

I have a couple of questions about using warning signs on small scale woodland operations.

Basically I would like to keep people out of some private woodland not just while felling is going on but while any work is done for several weeks, e.g. extracting the logs, sorting the brash etc. So:

1) Do people actually take notice of signs such as "Warning Forestry Operations"?

2) Is there any problem in displaying such a sign? I.e. I gather if you display a sign "Beware of the Dog" it's an admission your dog is dangerous and may well get you into more trouble if your dog attacks someone.

3) Is there any other reasonable way to stop people wandering about when I'm not around?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of questions about using warning signs on small scale woodland operations.

Basically I would like to keep people out of some private woodland not just while felling is going on but while any work is done for several weeks, e.g. extracting the logs, sorting the brash etc. So:

1) Do people actually take notice of signs such as "Warning Forestry Operations"?

2) Is there any problem in displaying such a sign? I.e. I gather if you display a sign "Beware of the Dog" it's an admission your dog is dangerous and may well get you into more trouble if your dog attacks someone.

3) Is there any other reasonable way to stop people wandering about when I'm not around?

In my experience Jo public will take no notice of signage what so ever . With regard to warning signs there is no doubt forestry operations are dangerous full stop . So not quite the same as your dog is dodgy .

If you display a warning sign(s) where it can't be missed and it is ignored then you have exercised your duty of care. Anyone seeking to make a claim would have to demonstrate that you had been negligent.

If it's for a period of time then the signs should state that so you are looking at custom signage.

Signs along with stripy plastic tape should be adequate.

You need to make reasonableprovision for the prevention of harm to visitors (invited or otherwise). Signage for the duration, barrier tape etc all goes towards proving that you fulfilling your duty of care.

Sorry Gooseflight, I'd disagree in custom signage being necessary. If warning signs are present and removed at the end of works, I can't see why they would be inadequate.

Why do I need signs at all if it's private woodland that no one has been given access to? I don't recall seeing many people use signs at all unless it's large scale forestry.

To be blunt I'm more after a "Get 'orf my land" sign that can stay up for a few months so I don't have to complete all the works in a couple of days. At the moment for example I'm leaving some felled trees until the ground dries up. I don't think they're dangerous but I witnessed a rather stupid person the other day which has led me to reconsider just how daft people can be.

Why do I need signs at all if it's private woodland that no one has been given access to? I don't recall seeing many people use signs at all unless it's large scale forestry.

To be blunt I'm more after a "Get 'orf my land" sign that can stay up for a few months so I don't have to complete all the works in a couple of days. At the moment for example I'm leaving some felled trees until the ground dries up. I don't think they're dangerous but I witnessed a rather stupid person the other day which has led me to reconsider just how daft people can be.

Occupiers Liability Act Paul, which was why I said invited or uninvited. You have a duty of care to visitors. If someone falls on your uneven garden path delivering menus for the local takeaway (which you didn't request or invite), the fact that you haven't considered their presence and taken reasonable steps to prevent harm to them by maintaining the path and it being fit for purpose, would likely make you negligent and liable.

If you left the trees in a position that someone climbing on them could cause them to roll or fall and cause injury or death, the situation would be the same. Yes people are stupid, climbing on stacked timber at the roadside - hence the warning signs to not climb. If these are unheeded and injury occurs, reasonable efforts have been made.

That's only up to a point though, isn't it? I'm not going to go round all my blackthorn trees and cut their spikes off just in case some one pricks themselves?

More realistically I'm not going to remove all the dead wood from my mature oaks just in case it falls on someone who shouldn't be there?

Having said that, that is part of the reason I'm thinking of the warning signs. Even though the wood is private, it has an obvious path through it and I've removed some dead wood from above it. But trees that out the way on a steep slope should I really cater for a muppet who decides to take a shot cut during a storm?