Defender battery?

monkeyboy

The battery on my 110 TD5 is being a real pain in this cold weather.

I trickle charged it for 48 hours a fortnight ago and today it won't turn over - just a clicking sound.

So I think it's time for a replacement. What battery would you chaps in the know recommend?

The truck isn't used on a daily basis - say three times a week - and is not used for recreational off roading. The battery will need to be powerful enough to operate a Warn electric winch when required though.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll check what mine is in the morning, its so big it only just fits in the box under the seat and will start world war three if required, im bad for leaving the lights on overnight so a big battery is essential, if you aren't using the motor much then pop a solar panel trickle charger connected to keep it in tip top condition.

Varta bosch or hella you get what you pay for. Some budget batteries are excellent most are rubbish first frost and no guts in them. Check its not a fault with solinoid in starter motor common weak point on TD5 you can get a repair kit on ebay for £6. Check the battery connections in side not just the top of the post.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've been out and checked the truck this morning.The battery charger was indicating full charge but it still didn't kick over until about the fifth attempt.

There's no age on the battery but the label reads:

Delco Freedom

12V 110ah R.C. 195 min

C.C.A. (-18C) : BCI 800

Was thinking of getting one of these as a replacement:

Numax C31 900

12V 115ah

900 cold start

Will check the solinoid in the stater motor first though as recommended by Gensetsteve.

Liking the X eng split charge set up David. Do you have one yourself?