H&S Alert’ regarding brush cutter heads

Steve Bullman

We use these all the time on rougher/woody clearing jobs. Especially good at docks, thistle and brambles - all the sort of things that break strimmer line and they are much faster than a blade. They can shed links though if you don't keep checking the chain flails. They can also flick heavier material up from the ground than you could with line or a blade. An interesting one - now with this H+S notice its going to be hard to use one knowing there is a darker side to these little attachments.

Just checked - it was the Brogio heads we got from Lamberhurst Engineering - must give them an email, see if they've anymore info

Edited by Gareth Dalzell

Just a quick update on the strimmer flail heads: As mentioned I got an email back from Andrew at Lamberhurst if anyone is interested: He has given me permission to post it here.

Sent: 17 February 2010 10:38

To: 'Dalzell Landscape Company'

Subject: RE: Brogio Heads

Good morning Mr Dalzell,

We only learnt yesterday ourselves via email from a customer of this issue, I contacted Carillon’s H&S Director straight away to try and learn more, he would not tell me any details at this point of what happen other than a head had come off and that H&S and the Police are involved !

I had the impression from our conversation that the problem was more with the operator rather than the Brogio !

With this fact in mind and the amount Brogio heads that have been sold in the UK over the last 5 years without any reported problems, we suspect that the problem was either a mounting error or the continued use of an unbalanced/damaged head causing the head to come off !

I also contacted the manufactures Brogi Loriano in Italy to check to see if they have had any similar issues; to which they assure me that they have not.

The Brogi Company have ask me to keep them informed in this matter as naturally they are keen to learn of any unknown fault with their products

We are confident that the issue will be resolved very soon without any come back on the Brogio heads and await the HSE report to fact

Yours sincerely

Andrew Fuller

Lamberhurst Engineering Ltd

Priory Farm

Parsonage Lane

Lamberhurst

Kent

TN3 8DS

Tel No:0044 (0) 1892 890364

Fax No:0044 (0) 1892 890122

email:[email protected]

Web:Lamberhurst Engineering

ouch,

the whole head coming off at full tilt doesnt bare thinking about :thumbdown:, wonder why the police are involved? Its good reason to have a safe working restriction between operators and the public i suppose, i guess one coming off at full tilt could travel a long distance. I Hope who ever got injured makes a speedy recovery,

As an addendum, given the distance and speed of travel of heavy debris, I always wear the Oregon hi-impact leg shield/protectors with these flail heads. Also ensure that no-one is in the recommended safety zone when operating. If common sense is used, I dont find these any more dangerous than any other power tool.