Best Vertical logsplitter

medroberts

Have a look at Riko UK ::  Commercial

My friend bought one over two years ago and we use it regularly for splitting rings for firewood. I think he has a 12 ton model and they are extremely well made, very solid and everything is at a comfortable working height. The only downside is it weighs an absolute ton so even just to pull it back over so you can wheel it takes a monumental effort. He got the electric version by the way and it has been 100% reliable and far outstrips anything else we have seen when we have been at shows.

Arrr the good old days of a wedge & pure muscle have gone, them were the days. (reminiscing) :lol:

A farmer mate of mine made a great splitter up using a ram, speed was regulated through the valve and would split upto around 14-18"

BUT

There was no safety cut out so if you didnt shut the valve the ram would keep pushing, all the years it was used it never once broke or killed anyone but only two people ever used this so were pretty good at it, the whole set up was thick 1/2" plate steel and hitched up to the back of a tractor so the logs were split where the tree was felled.

All before the intervention of H&S:001_rolleyes:

I've had one made by a local fabrication company

20 tonne + it works on tractor hydraulics [though they could have fitted a Hyd' pack to it, so can be made independant of the tractor ,

moving options fitted top hook , forklift , 3 point linkage & loader euro bracket

its a monster & Around £1200inc vat

its very very well built

let me have your details & i'll ask em to contact you

Oxdale Hydraulic 10tonne log splitters are worth a look. I just bought one had the splitting bed made bigger as its a bit on the small side for big rings, it cost around the £650 mark. im really pleased with it, its idea for arb-waste rings etc.

Rabaud splitters are built like battleships and work really well. We use the 16 tonne farmer II model and we have sold the 13 tonne model to local contractor. Have a look on youtube under rabaud splitter or on the home forestry page. We will be having another delivery soon if you want to order anything. The optional winch is good as it can lift massive logs in to place to save all the mauling. just been splitting some 1m diameter beech logs 1.1m long over the weekend with no trouble.

Hi Med,

The speed of the log splitter will depend on how much flow your tractor has on the hydraulics.

The more tonnage the log splitter has the slower it will be (becuase they use a larger ram that takes longer to fill with oil).

If you want a fast log splitter and your tractor doesnt have very good hydraulics then you'll best go with a PTO driven machine. That has the advantage that you can run the tractor on tick over (the hydraulic ones need you to put the engine revvs up a bit to speed the hydraulics up).

Dont forget that H&S requires you have have a 2 handed operation on the splitter, if you dont and there is an accident you will get dragged over the coals!