200t erratic idle

Jontreasure

As the title suggests my 200t won't idle properly. It's probably had about 18 months use and the carb failed (irritating but not unusual). I fitted a new carb and tuned the saw all was not quite right. So I had the saw tuned at the shop.

When I went to use the saw the idle was very high so I adjusted it slightly. The idle was erratic and the saw would occasionally stall. I've since had it checked at the shop and they found nothing wrong with the saw yet the problem continues.

I'm inclined to think the problem is with the new carb but if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful for any input.

Thanks

Thanks I've tried it already. Tbh it's not really very cold here today I was out playing with it earlier and it's exactly the same.

When I got it back from the shop 2nd time the idle was again high. Before anyone says it no I haven't ajusted the idle too low the chain was spinning so fast on idle I could have cut wood with it.

Check the carb h + l settings are at manufacturor settings, good clean air filter, do the chain tension if necessary.... start the saw and try get the idle to the correct setting

chain still spinning then clutch creeping

idle still rubbish, then check the tank breather vent, fuel filter and pickup pipe, inlet manifold for splits

Apologies if telling you how to suck eggs lol :)

Also if you richen up the l setting and the idle will settle then you have an air leak somewhere

Right - back to the symptoms and problem as the clutch springs won't cause a fast idle:confused1:

You have had one carb go bad and in changing it for a new carb, the symptoms are still there. This tells be that the problem isn't actually with the carb but with something else.

I am assuming that the problem is as it was with the old carb?

I think Swinny has got most of the usual suspects -

Breather - make sure it is clear

Impulse line - make sure it isn't damaged/cracked and make sure it is pushed home on to the handle connection properly

Carb boot - make sure it isn't cracked or holed

On the subject of carb boots - make sure it is pushed down on to the cylinder head properly and make sure it is allinged with it properly - two things to check, the tab must line up with the mark on the cylinder head and the hole in the rubber flange of the boot must allign with the impulse hole in the carb correctly.

Other than that - make sure the filter is clean and that the carb is set to factory - one turn out on H&L screws WITH THE BLACK LIMITER OUT!!!

Let us know how it goes