Pto winch on landy

Matthew Storrs

IM going to fit a winch on my defender, don't really want an electric one so hydraulic, the question being is it best to run it of the transfer box or the crankshaft pulley?

Also as a bit of a side thought would it be easy enough to have it so the PTO also runs a splitter without too much plumbing involved to switch from winch to splitter.

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pto winch, driven by the rear transfer box and a shaft. The hydo pump fits where my drop box to the shaft goes. Now if you want hydro there are kits for ps pumps BUT you will find its a very small oil container and so is pumped round and heats up quickly so you may need to plumb in an extra oil tank as well or fit an oil cooler to it. Also these pumps are usually small volume and so do not give a high flow rate so winches and the like will run very slowly. Its much better, faster, cooler to run a big oil tank with a larger pump from the transfer box especialy if you plan to run bigger stuff as well.

Hope that helps

Rich:thumbup:

ok, so it sounds like transfer PTO is the way to go, where do you position the oil reservoir? or is it attched to the pump? Iv no experiance of pto winches etc on landies so am a bit confused by it all, my understanding is that I need the pump which will attach to the transfer box (i get that bit) then i will obviously need a oil reservoir for it, then is it just a matter of having a winch with quick disconnectors that'll just plug into the PTO pump. is there anything iv missed? cheers for the help

ok, so it sounds like transfer PTO is the way to go, where do you position the oil reservoir? or is it attched to the pump? Iv no experiance of pto winches etc on landies so am a bit confused by it all, my understanding is that I need the pump which will attach to the transfer box (i get that bit) then i will obviously need a oil reservoir for it, then is it just a matter of having a winch with quick disconnectors that'll just plug into the PTO pump. is there anything iv missed? cheers for the help

It’s not quite that simple, if you are going to run implements various, you need to consider pressure relief and diverter valves.

It’s not quite that simple, if you are going to run implements various, you need to consider pressure relief and diverter valves.

and a large enough reservoir to account for oil volume changes if using hydraulic rams. I run my winch pump off the crank with my own drive creation, means i get winch power even with clutch down. But it was designed for doing winch competitions so i decided that was way to go, but probably for pur power its prob best to go off transfer box!:biggrin:

The hydraulics on my 130 crew cab are set up as follows

PTO pump driven off transfer box - hydraulic oil tank located under drivers seat alongside chassis

lever inside the cab to operate winch

2 levers on front wing one to operate winch and one to operate second supply line

The winch lever on wing is a simple spool valve to operate both in and out

The other lever is just on/off and would need the spool valve on the equipment it was powering

The hydraulics on my 130 crew cab are set up as follows

PTO pump driven off transfer box - hydraulic oil tank located under drivers seat alongside chassis

lever inside the cab to operate winch

2 levers on front wing one to operate winch and one to operate second supply line

The winch lever on wing is a simple spool valve to operate both in and out

The other lever is just on/off and would need the spool valve on the equipment it was powering

Do you mean operate winch or engage pump?