Alaskan Mill v Logosol

Sleeches

Morning. First crack on here so be gentle.

I've got about 35 acres of mixed woodland and want to start milling up some of the bigger logs for furniture making. I fancy having a go myself so am looking at either the Alaskan or Logosol. Needs to be completely portable as I don't have the means to forward big logs out into the open. Mixture of oak, ash and chestnut, up to around 24" diameter.

From the comments on here it looks like Alaskan is the default for most people but I'd be interested if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) of the Logosol Timberjig.

Already have a selection of saws but by the look of things may need to get a bigger/longer one to cope with the Alaskan as the prevailing advice seems to be to go big on the saw.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Regarding the saws, bigger is definitely better. If you have a maximum of a 24 inch cut, an MS660/395XP would just about cut it, but you would still be better with 120cc.

I've used the Alaskan extensively. It's a good mill and good value for money. By far and away the best results are achieved with it when you have a person on each end of the mill. I just don't think it's possible to steady the mill sufficiently with one hand (the other being on the throttle).

Jonathan

mike,

the alaskan is a great bit of kit. ive found that it is great for larger bits especially where they are just slabbed. i found the process very slow for smaller logs which i just wanted to square off and use as 6"x6".

so i now use the alaskan on stuff i cant move and the logosol m7 on bits i can or after they have been broken up.

not sure about the timberjig, but i think it is designed for smaller softwood logs. if you can, just avoid what ive done by thinking you will only need a smaller setup. you will want to mill as big as you can. ive brought 3 sets of rails and bars.

all mills have there place you just have to decide want you want to do with the wood and mill.

goodluck

like offgrid chris, i use an alaskan to chop the really big stuffup into sizes for my m7, but in reality i find i dont do this very often as the m7 will handle some surprising sizes, youll find 24" well within its capibility, its the overall weight thats the killer, they say 1/2 tonne, but speak to the logosol folk at bentham and theyll say its capable of a "lot" more i find the only problem comes with length, with my mill i can do just over 6mtrs (with an extension fitted). decide on a budget and see whats available, check on you tube, theres some really good stuff on there. im slightly biased in favour of logosol, but ive got the chainsaw driven log moulder/ planer fitted as well so i can board the timber with 1 finished face straight of the mill, makes a big difference(only 9" though) . have a look on the logosol site and see where the nearest mill user is to you and see if you can arange to see it working, its surprising

Hi Mike,

I was in exactly the same quandry a while ago. In the end I went for the Alaskan 36" because I liked the idea of being able to do bigger stuff when it was available. Also I wasn't keen on the way the timbajig only held the bar at one end, I could imagine the free end wandering a bit. I'm very pleased with the equipment, I first used it with a Stihl 048 with a 28" bar and it did a cracking job, even on some hard old oak. For big logs I'd get the mini mill too, you can whip the sides off and leave a cant the right width for your Alaskan, and then just slab away. However the best thing so far about the Alaskan setup is the incredible backup you get from Rob D, I rang him before I ordered anything, I recommend you do the same, it's free!

I posted some pics of my first go on an earlier post (dont know how to link?). It's very rewarding and now I have a shed full of oak and ash which is far more interesting than anything from the timber merchant, and an absolute fraction if the cost!

Good luck,

Rob

I think the Alaskan is a good entry level mill and combined with the mini mill you can pretty much go on any site and plank whatever you like.

Logosol seems (not used one regularly myself:blushing: but seen it plenty of times) better for regular softwood and to build up to an M7 more a static set up where you bring the logs to the mill rather than vice versa. Also better for sawing thinner planks with the logosol lo pro system (which only they have - bars manufactured by GB in Australia).

Either way I think even if you had both you'd still use both.

I'm more biased towards the Alaskan - but hardly surprising that is it!:001_tongue:

If you do want an Alaskan remember you get 10% off all prices (this is an offer only open to Arbtalk members).

:biggrin:

Hi Mike,

Where are you based ? It would be worth your while having a hands on go with both systems before commiting your cash. When I was looking at this stuff paid for a day to learn with someone, and had chance to use the logosol timber jig, rail system, big mill LSG which is 2 timber jigs joined to form a similar mill to the Alaskan and a woodmizer LT40 hydraulic with an independent pro who makes his living from milling. Not saying that it would necesserily cost you cash if there is somone in your area willing to give you a hands on demo ? Have you a CS30 ?

There are pros and cons to the different arrangements, in the end I bought a timber jig and rail to start and then bought the M7 woodworkers mill. There is a bit of an art to using just the timber jig and rail to get parallel boards and that is down to having a sharp chain, decent bar and how you mount the brackets on a log, but once you get used to its fine and surface finish is good.

I have a timber jig big mill and a M7 woodworkers mill. The largest l have planked with the timber jig has been with a 38 inch bar on oak and beech.

The My woodworkers fits into the back of my pick-up and gets carried into woodland and gardens when required to. I saved some money when l bought the M7 as l already had the bar from the big mill.

I am happy with my system and if needed l can upgrade it further