Alaskan Mill v Logosol

Sleeches

as quoted in previous comments the timber jig will wander if both ends of the bar arnt supported. especially in oak i have a timberjig and i made my fireplace out of oak using a 36inch bar it was wandering over 5 mm in oak, espesially if you hit a knot i found using a 25inch bar on my 084 was best but with a 24 inch log it would only just fit through as part of the bar is in the jig itself.

the sawmill that holds both ends is best you can get ones that you do the first cut riding on a rail some people use a ladder to start but im not experianced in that application.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was going to run a circular saw down the edges to suqare up the planks but if the Mini Mill does the job then we're away.

I'll give Rob D a quick call once I've cleared it with the financial controller - looks like the saw is going to be the most expensive piece of kit in the setup.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Another proponent of the Alaskan Mill range here - and indeed the ongoing support from Rob D. I started with an MS361 (now for sale!) and the Alaskan Small Log Mill. The SLM is great for, well, smaller stuff! I recently used it to re-saw two rock-hard 20' x 11"x6" reclaimed pitch pine beams and it did a terrific job - pics to follow in due course.

I also recently bought a 36" Alaskan Mill but haven't yet had time to commission it properly, despite a fast-growing log pile. In anticipation, I bought a cracking MS660, but as a hobby/small-scale DIY user it's overkill for my humble needs so it too is for sale (see classifieds), 361 & 660 both now superseded by an MS460.

I may regret it - all advice certainly points towards more power, but with a well sharpened ripping chain, good quality bar, decent oiler and patience, most things are possible! I can't really justify the 660 hanging around for milling and to be frank, I find it just a bit too cumbersome and weighty as an all-rounder - hence the 460.

Anyway, I digress; you could do a lot worse than a 36" Alaskan - they are likely to have high residual value if looked after so you could always sell it on if you really don't find favour with it - but that's pretty unlikely.

Cheers,

AndrewS

A superb saw also but her indoors just doesn't understand the need for four so it has to go :-(

Only four? How do you get by with only four!

Alec

026, 044, 051, 066M, 076 and am keeping a lookout for the ultra-elusive 090G Super