Gutted and desperate for help!

YoGi_93

So for one reason or another, including my dads redundancy and my mom loosing half her customers, I cant afford to go to college :crying: ive no choice but to get a steady income so I now work 25-30 hours a week in nothing to do with Arboriculture or forestry what so ever. I was really looking forward to going to college so it really is gutting. Im so keen to get into the industry and I cant really think of any other ways as good as what I was going to do. So im pretty much groveling for help and advice! what shall i do :confused1: and help id really appreciate!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear of your troubles. why exactly cant you afford to go to college??? Theres always ways and means :)

Its not so much not being able to afford the course, thats not the problem. Its basically that I have to pay alot towards the house because of the problems in the description. I suppose a better way of saying it would be that I cant afford to not work. As opposed to cant afford college. And what ways and means exactly were you referring to? :001_tongue:

Contact BigBossBeechwood, he is in Coventry and maybe able to give you the odd day or two?

Which company does he work for Phil? Ill drop him a line see what he can do for me. At the end of the day even just a couple of hours of work is more experience than I have at the minute! :001_smile:

have you thought about an apprenticeship? like steve says always ways and means. :thumbup1:

Penfold if you could recommend any decent apprenticeships I will defiantly look into them. That was originally my favoured idea but I couldn't find any for exactly what I wanted to do.

Edited by YoGi_93

Which company does he work for Phil? Ill drop him a line see what he can do for me. At the end of the day even just a couple of hours of work is more experience than I have at the minute! :001_smile:

he's the Big Boss of Beechwood Trees and Landscapes :biggrin:

Certainly give him a call.

Can you not get a personal development loan? Search for it on Website of the UK government : Directgov

I had to wait from the age of 19-22 before i could get into tree work, i had just done my felling and then my parents moved away and i had to get my own place.

I got as many jobs as i could from peeling potatoes in a chippy from 6am till 9 am then gardening and labouring. Your goal is to make money now, nothing else.

You will go from spending 10% on other things not yourself to 90% on other stuff and maybe 10% left for you, so it seems almost pointless trying to save a £10 a week, then real life stuff comes into it, council tax, rent, repairs, phone bills everything your parents and adults have to.

There is a time where everyone has to face the big wide world, sometimes it is forced upon us.

By the time i was in a position to go into tree surgery i could take a pay cut to get my foot in the door and i had some savings to get me through the first 6 months, then after that i just started myself.:laugh1:

Good luck mate:thumbup1:

Life doesnt always pan out how you'd like it. I tried in the early 80's to get into the Forestry Commission, around here it helped massively if you had family already in there. I didnt get a look in. It took me til my 30's to do the job I always wanted. Stick at it, try and get perhaps a Saturday job if poss with a local company, but never give up on your dream, it'll come some day.