Alaskan Mill Frame Movement

Stephen Blair

Hi, I used my mill yesterday for the first time in about 3 years, everything was tight yet the frame kept moving, the chain would then hit the bolt and snap it!

It's the twin saw version, it was on the pushing chain side.

We reckoned the best solution is to drill the bar and bolt straight through and remove the outer bolts.

Any thoughts?

Hi I had a similar problem but with a single power head I was running a hard nosed bar when I changed it for a sprocket nosed bar it was fine are you running a sprocket nosed bar do double enders even have sprocket noses sorry thats my only thaughts hope you get it sorted

Regards Mark

Sounds like it just wasn't quite tight enough on the clamps, I've had a bit of movement in the past from using a chainsaw spanner. Got myself a ratchet spanner and that has cured it. That extra 1/4 turn really gripped the bar tight.

Usually this is down to not tightening the bolts sequentially ie doing one tight then the other tight... if you tighten like car wheel working from one to the other so the clamp sits flat.

Another reason is if there is a bit of chain oil or grease there - make sure the clamps and bar are clean and grease free.

It shouldn't be happening on even a double end mill set up. Hope the above helps. :001_smile:

It should clamp up fine Stevie as it is - I wouldn't add anything under there. I would just make sure is very clean and dry on both clamps and bar, sequentially tigheten until feels solid and you should have no problems.

If you do let me know and can look at replacing both the clamps and the bolts but it should be fine. The only time I had this happen was when I had some bar oil under the clamp. After I cleaned it up it was fine and never had it since.