LOLER homemade friction cords.

ChrisPlumpton

Hi guys,

Hopefully some one can shed some light on this for me so here goes. I've started tying my own friction eye to eyes to use with my hitchclimber setup to cut down on costs. I've had my kit LOLER'd today but they failed my cords because they had no ID info on them which is fair enough, I expected that. the problem is I've come to mark them up at home but the only info I have on the friction cord I have was the date I bought (29/07/2014) I have no batch numbers or date of manufacture for the cord which is going to make marking them up with any valid info a no go. would the purchase date and an individual marker no be enough ie: 29/07/2014CP1? I'm thinking as friction cords have a short life span anyway hopefully this would be enough. I can also carry the invoice for the cord as proof of purchase date.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

I thought stuff didn't need to be loler'd until it was 6 months old. In which case if you replace your hitch cord more often than every 6 months surely it won't need lolering.

You're right on the 6 month thing for new kit. But my company is anal and everything has to be LOLER'd from new. The problem is I can't prove the cords age as I don't know it. I bought it new in July but there's no saying it wasn't sat in a stock room for 3 years or whatever.

Our loler inspector has said that the cords need to be identified so all we do is have the date when first use on the paperwork along with all other serial numbers of your other climbing kit, then I mark mine with let's say lm1014 (my initials and month and year) it's only so it can be identified easily then in how many times you change say 5 months on I would mark it with lm0315. :thumbup1:

I've started tying my own friction eye to eyes to use with my hitchclimber setup to cut down on costs

But my company is anal and everything has to be LOLER'd from new.

Why are you buying your own kit?

As far as the chord goes, a batch number wont tell your LOLER inspector anything about age and dates. Just give the item an individual number and a date into service.

Next time you buy some, ask for a batch number if he really needs it.

Even if you don't keep it 6 months, you still need a unique Id number and date of first service so you can record it on your weekly written inspections.

I used to go through a hitch cord a week, now a length of armour pruss can last 6 months easily.

As far as the chord goes, a batch number wont tell your LOLER inspector anything about age and dates. Just give the item an individual number and a date into service.

I've gone down the ID number and date into service route. It was a pain to start with buying our own kit for the obvious financial outlay but to be honest it works for us because we can do what we want with it as it our kit. it's always good to have your kit because you can do your own jobs as well as theirs. If I decide to leave and become a subby I have my own gear/saws ready to go. they provide all our PPE, other tools such as pole saws and rigging kits etc. they LOLER our kit too. And to be honest some of the people I work with don't respect their own kit so expecting them to look after works kit is a no go.

LOLER inspected friction hitch, will you climb on a well worn one after a month after passing a inspection.

You should now you kit.

?????? Nobody mentioned climbing on a well worn friction hitch. I certainly wouldn't risk my own life. The object of the post it to create a legitimate traceable item for the purpose of a LOLER inspection. I know my own kit very well. it's making your kit identifiable to somebody else (the inspector) that's the point of my post.

And new kit (PPE) does not have to be LOLER ed until six months...

Provided it has a CE mark. Unless your next inspection is due before, then all kit should be included