Ford Ranger or Isuzu D-Max for heavy work?

Big J

D-Max or Ranger - for proper work, which would you have?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. D-Max or Ranger - for proper work, which would you have?

• D-Max
    • Ranger

Having recently had a run in with VOSA towing a trailer further than 50km from home, a tachograph is needed for me to continue doing the work I do. It's not worth fitting one on the Navara (at £1400 cost) for the sake of the remaining 18 months of the lease and a crappy 2.8t towing capacity.

So, two options, Ranger or D-Max. Both tow 3.5t, which is the key thing. Pros and cons are as follows:

D-Max has longer warranty but Ford parts are cheaper.

D-Max better on fuel.

Ranger can be factory fitted with a tacho for £600 (spread over the course of the lease). D-Max requires upfront £1400 installation cost.

I've been warned against a Ranger by one person, but reading older threads here on the forum, the D-Max seems to have a lot of problems with the DPF filter.

So, if you were in my position, what would you get? I tow a lot and I tow heavy. I use it off road a reasonable amount, often towing. 20,000 miles a year.

All advice appreciated.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your train weight is more that 3.5t and you are towing something that is for sale (their definition of hire and reward), you cannot be further than 50km from base. Same vehicle, same journey, same load and private use doesn't require a tacho. Utter bloody lunacy, if you ask me.

Steve, appreciate where you are coming from, but I need a vehicle that can get down tight estate tracks and a 7.5t lorry just wouldn't cut it. Also need cruise control for the A9 and it's 100+ miles of average speed cameras.

Jonathan

I think I would be looking last of the hd100 Landcruiser Amazons. The new one is too expensive and electronic. I have heard of a few reliability problems as well. The other thing to do is try both Ford and D max and see which you like best. Both are under warranty for your ownership. Does the Amarok tow 3500kg ?

If your train weight is more that 3.5t and you are towing something that is for sale (their definition of hire and reward), you cannot be further than 50km from base. Same vehicle, same journey, same load and private use doesn't require a tacho. Utter bloody lunacy, if you ask me.

Steve, appreciate where you are coming from, but I need a vehicle that can get down tight estate tracks and a 7.5t lorry just wouldn't cut it. Also need cruise control for the A9 and it's 100+ miles of average speed cameras.

Jonathan

Cheers Jonathan, that's me knackered too then. Will have to look for tachometer for my d max. Know loads of people in same boat as me that don't use tachometer either. Speaking of lunacy and laws..

Recently got pulled on a1 with 3 contrete pipes on trailer. Plod saw 1200kg on last section of pipe so pulled me as was 'obviously overloaded'. Pipe was 1200kg total and plod couldnt see it was cut into 3 despite my rough cuts. After getting past that he checked my license and decided I shouldnt have the right to pull a trailer as I past car test in 97 so no grandfather rights despite them being on my license from older motorcycle license. Then made me leave trailer, go and get wife who hasn't towed anything and after checking her license made her drive the truck home with him following. Later got a letter saying all checked out with dvla and license is fine. It was dark, raining and an awkward load with an inexperienced driver compared to me who tows every week. madness!

Sorry to derail thread anyway.

If it's delivering an item for sale then even the 50km rule doesn't count, that is only a concession if you are going to a job with tools for the job.

Actually you are only the second person I've heard has been caught in the last 5 years.

Paul Barton at Nottingham quoted me a better fitting price but it's a long way south of you.

Actually you are only the second person I've heard has been caught in the last 5 years.

Lucky me!

Paul Barton at Nottingham quoted me a better fitting price but it's a long way south of you.

Wouldn't be a problem as my mum is near Derby. I'll come back to you if I need a tacho fitted :001_smile:

The trouble with both these trucks is that train weight does not allow much weight in the towing vehicle if towing the full 3.5ton.

I think that 3.5 ton is too much weight to have behind a vehicle that weighs only a shade over 2 ton if your not allowed any weight in the pickup bed. Ifor trailer brakes don,t work backwards and iv been pulled back down hills before when towing 3.5ton with an unladen 110. stick 500kg in the pickup and and its far more the boss of things.

the Discovery 4 I believe weighs nearer 2.7t? so would be more suitable, but obviously lack of pickup bed might be a problem.

The trouble with both these trucks is that train weight does not allow much weight in the towing vehicle if towing the full 3.5ton.

I think that 3.5 ton is too much weight to have behind a vehicle that weighs only a shade over 2 ton if your not allowed any weight in the pickup bed. Ifor trailer brakes don,t work backwards and iv been pulled back down hills before when towing 3.5ton with an unladen 110. stick 500kg in the pickup and and its far more the boss of things.

the Discovery 4 I believe weighs nearer 2.7t? so would be more suitable, but obviously lack of pickup bed might be a problem.

That is something that I'd forgotten. My uncle got dragged backwards down a hill in Luxembourg in a 90 towing an excavator. I suppose with a Disco you are far less likely to attract VOSA's attention.