Log burner advice

treedom

A client of mine has just installed a new log burner. Apparently not a cheap crap one but she says it isn't kicking out much heat.

She reckons it was installed properly too.

Any ideas what might be up?

I think a common problem is that people think the fire should be roaring inside to give off lots of heat. So they leave air vents open, it looks great but you get through lots of wood for little heat.

Woodburners are all about stored heat, not instant heat and the stored heat can only be given off at the max rating of the woodburner, so a 5Kw burner can only give off 5Kw no matter how fast the fire is roaring. (or a percentage of 5Kw depending on efficiency)

So keep the fire going as slowly as possible, otherwise all the heat goes up the flue, as long as its not going out it really doesnt take much to keep it hot and gving off close to max output.

Similarly the fire surround and chimney breast do all need to get warm and then the store heat as well and that all helps, so keeping the thing going for long periods is good IMO.

Oh, the other thing, has she got a convector burner or a radiant heat one? The convectors never seem very hot.

A client of mine has just installed a new log burner. Apparently not a cheap crap one but she says it isn't kicking out much heat.

She reckons it was installed properly too.

Any ideas what might be up?

HI TREE how large is the room mate to size of stove i no some one had a 10 kw stove in a room size 35ft x20ft 18ft high the stove was a good make but it was never going to heat that size room how many kw is the stove thanks jon :thumbup:

Client of mine had same problem and after the installer visiting a few times, discussions with the shop where she bought it and even with the manufacturers, turns out she had two air vents in the room - thought she only had one so had closed this but didn't realise there was a second hidden by furniture where the heat was escaping through.