Burr Oak Burl + tool questions

Big Beech

I took this chunk off of the trunk as in per the other post.

selectively chiseled with the ms200 to remove the old soft wood and a little rotten area, then cut it in half with the idea of making two dish style boles.

i did see some roughing ou tools that fit on a 3 or 4" grinder. does anyone have any recomendations?

i am going to rough them out, boil them then finish them:001_smile:

s

20130305_162030.jpg.3ec7ab32afa8605d8a40ccee43831a2a.jpg

597663c791366_20130305_162022copy.jpg.1b05596a54cb106fa5f354065bee17cb.jpg

597663c78f50a_20130305_161401copy.jpg.154c49e23bd97d01c8702f55a55a5f09.jpg

597663c78d98b_20130305_160505copy.jpg.1e9060cb2a99a7b32a4fc972a785a371.jpg

Check out Classic hand tools and their King Arthur range of Holey Galahads. i got one of the first ones a few years ago at the Festival of the tree at westonbirt. they didnt know how much to charge for the only two in the country so i got them both for £60. however Mike asked me to do a couple of demos with them in return. good bit of kit.:thumbup:

You could get a quarter tip carving bar and run it on 3/8 lo pro, so no need to change the sprocket. The zebra ones on chainsawbars on here are very cheap if you only want to use it occasionally.

If you go down the grinder route, the Arbortec discs are good, I splashed out on the turboplane which is great at roughing out for bowls, although you will still need to sand it, 40 and 60 grit on backing pad with grinder does a hell of a lot.

thanks,

ive seen the arbotec stuff, just cant justify there prices for an every now and then project.

i am looking for a new grinder and these sanding, flappy pad disks. where would suggest i look? or any recomendations?

s

I bought a rubber backing disc and discs from the local welding suppliers - a box of 50off 40 grit for about a tenner. Pretty good at shifting a large amount of material.

Personally, I would tackle your job with a well sharpened gouge and a mallet, and it would be surprisingly quick (and comparatively very cheap). Depending on whether you want mirror-smooth or hand-tooled, I would then decide on whether to take all marks out with a sanding disc or not.

Alec

well, i was going to gouge it out with the ms200:biggrin:

then boil, then sand once dry:thumbup:

Use a chainsaw to rough it out - although I got that turbo plane whatsit from arbortech and it is very good for making bowls - but I know what you mean - not cheap - £100-00 or so.

But then they keep coming out with new tools that are idea for doing this sort of thing.

:biggrin: