Register of Tree Work Operatives

jaime bray

I was asked as an independant contractor to assist and give opinions on the issue of the Professional Standards Framework initiative for arboriculture.

Many other industries have development frameworks in place, assisting industry persons with their career development, enhancement and opportuninties.

Arboriculture has a mixed bag, depending on the type of work you do and what experience you have.

One thing that is a common occurance is that employers will employ someone that claims to be gods gift to arb, sometimes the right person for the job loses out because they didnt sell themselves well or couldnt show their actual experience and the other person has 'better; paper work.

Another aspect of the industry, is the loss of skills as people drop out the top as they have nowhere to go when their body has had enough of climbing, resulting in a complete loss of skills to the company and the industry, and the person starting a new career in a different industry.

The Register of Tree Work Operatives; or R2 as it has been branded, will look to put in place a register for industry operatives, that through the stringent process of evidential accounting of experiential learning and skill assessment, and with the recognition of training and qualification acquisitions all combined together, enabling arborists to achieve a grade that will recognise their skills, experience, training and qualifications.

There will be an endorsement process that all registraints will have to go through and this will be verified.

The intention is to assist in the professionalisation of arboriculture and assist people recognising and achieving their full potential and companies in recruitment.

It will be constructed in a way that will recognise the value and benefit of all industry persons, from student learners/apprentices, right through to people that have been on the ropes for 25 years, have vast amounts of experience but little in the form of educational qualifications, yet contribute significantly to the successful development of the industry as they have forgotten more than some will ever know about practical arboriculture.

The scheme is being supported by pan industry, with a representative from many sectors. Currently on the steering group is a rep from; ISA, AA, Landex, Bartletts, Glendale, Lantra, A.M.Lane safety consultants and myself; Jaime Bray (Treetop Arboriculture), other industry sectors are being consulted with at varying times, e.g. City and Guilds, insurance companies, however, further work is needed to bring to fruition the scheme.

It has been decided by the steering group that an awareness event and sponsor event is put on. This event will brief attendees on the scheme, show the software for the scheme in working situations and also hopefully attract donations from industry figures to bring the scheme forward. Please see the attached PDF for the invitation to the event, there will be a variety of sponsorship packages available, Although it is not going to break the bank I have opened the account with a donation of £100. I am a one man band but i do believe that the industry, with the appropriate support, can benefit from this pan initiative.

There are far to many details to continue dribbling on about right now, but please take time to read through the attachment and feel free to show your interest and follow the instructions on the invitation.

Opinions welcomed. Although i apologise if i can not answer every question, some of the technical aspects go way beyond my remit.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any opinions and support.

Sponsorship meeting invite RTWO.pdf

Edited by jaime bray

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a very good idea.

One issue I would have with trying to get a belt and braces system up and running straight away is that it is unlikely to be adopted by the industry and it is unlikely to work. IMO it needs to be introduced gradually, working towards an ideal that is the stringent process of evidential accounting of experiential learning and skill assessment, and with the recognition of training and qualification acquisitions all combined together, enabling arborists to achieve a grade that will recognise their skills, experience, training and qualifications.

Also, IMO, the assessment of individual skills and learning should not be limited to a select band of assessors. There should be peer reviews and the endorsed skill set needs to have a decay mechanism, be available to view by potential employers and have a validation rating system similar to ebay. That way erroneous endorsements would be found out and it would be in everyones interest to be a bit more honest about their skills or their ability to judge someone elses skills.

I notice that Lantra are on the list of promoters - are they likely to be the awarding body.

As a trainer, assessor and verifier I find it difficult to understand the units and system that is evolving for the tree industry - lets hope this one is written in plain English.

Also from the comment A register that would also enable clients to identify individuals and teams that have the required skills to undertake the work they’re being asked to do.

I would find it unlikely that most procurement organisations would understand what they require or what to ask for. I don't think this is a likely outcome of this register.

I do think that within the industry and between contracting companies it might ( and I mean might not will) assist in identifying a skills set that is required initially.

This will further marginalise those who are not interested in assesment & career building on an academic level (involvement with CPD etc)

For those who want this, I'm sure it will be well constructed, for those that don't they will just see more unnecessary expenditure at a time of limited work & austerity.

Who asked this to be created & why? It does have the appearance of another revenue creating scheme - but I can be a little cynical at times.......

It's a very good idea.

One issue I would have with trying to get a belt and braces system up and running straight away is that it is unlikely to be adopted by the industry and it is unlikely to work. IMO it needs to be introduced gradually, working towards an ideal that is the stringent process of evidential accounting of experiential learning and skill assessment, and with the recognition of training and qualification acquisitions all combined together, enabling arborists to achieve a grade that will recognise their skills, experience, training and qualifications.

Also, IMO, the assessment of individual skills and learning should not be limited to a select band of assessors. There should be peer reviews and the endorsed skill set needs to have a decay mechanism, be available to view by potential employers and have a validation rating system similar to ebay. That way erroneous endorsements would be found out and it would be in everyones interest to be a bit more honest about their skills or their ability to judge someone elses skills.

There will be aspects of the experience assessments that will be assessed by peers, work colleagues, managers etc

The Ebay issue is something that has been mentioned, but will possibly be an enhancement to the software at later stages.

I notice that Lantra are on the list of promoters - are they likely to be the awarding body.

As a trainer, assessor and verifier I find it difficult to understand the units and system that is evolving for the tree industry - lets hope this one is written in plain English.

Also from the comment A register that would also enable clients to identify individuals and teams that have the required skills to undertake the work they’re being asked to do.

I would find it unlikely that most procurement organisations would understand what they require or what to ask for. I don't think this is a likely outcome of this register.

I do think that within the industry and between contracting companies it might ( and I mean might not will) assist in identifying a skills set that is required initially.

There isnt an awarding body as such, a lot of the assessments will be made by industry peers, managers etc, to attain the higher grades then this may require a more vigorous assessment of a persons skills and experience etc. But the industry is the assessors if you were looking for an assessor as such.

This will further marginalise those who are not interested in assesment & career building on an academic level (involvement with CPD etc)

For those who want this, I'm sure it will be well constructed, for those that don't they will just see more unnecessary expenditure at a time of limited work & austerity.

Who asked this to be created & why? It does have the appearance of another revenue creating scheme - but I can be a little cynical at times.......

Thanks for the comments. It may be the case that if the scheme assists in the professionalisation of the industry it may help clients to recognise the skilll base of arborists they employ.

It is not solely about academic learning, it also considers experience. It is continually mentioned that the industry needs professionalising, and if people that have vasts amount of experience can stay in the industry longer as their professional skills and experience are recognised within an industry career framework, then they may be more inclined to stay in the industry and not seek alternative work, therefore minimising a total loss of operator skills and experience form arboriculture.

Edited by jaime bray

There isnt an awarding body as such, a lot of the assessments will be made by industry peers, managers etc, to attain the higher grades then this may require a more vigorous assessment of a persons skills and experience etc. But the industry is the assessors if you were looking for an assessor as such.

I,m not sure I follow. It's not just a register but also a grading progression based on attributed prior learning as scored not by people with landbased assessing awards but by people with tree/arb knowledge. The criteria will be passed to them to score against, they could be moderated and standard set on a regular basis and will award as they see fit based on their take on the individual and as set against the criteria.

If there is no awarding body, but someone must set a standard - will it be the each of the participants in the setting up who owns the "register"