Newbie chainsaw user seeking advice

javaguy44

Hi,

I'm a first time poster and chainsaw user / buyer.

I'm looking to buy a low powered chainsaw (I'm currently favouring the Stihl MSA 160 electric cordless) and could use some advice.

I'm only planning to use the chainsaw for small maintenance type tasks including firewood and the occasional branch (not on a ladder or anything).

I'd appreciate if someone can tell me what kind of chainsaw protection people would think I'd need...since the chainsaw is low power, do I need to buy chaps / chainsaw boots etc? Or do you think chainsaw gloves, face protection would be enough?

I'd like to know what people think before the sales person tells me what he thinks I need ;)

Thanks

Chainsaw gloves introduce more risk due to not being able to hold things properly. They only have protection on the back of the left hand in case the chain breaks and comes back at you. However, if that happens (which is exceptionally rare, especially on low powered saw) then the chain catcher on the saw will stop it, and the chain brake handle stops it hitting your hand

In short, don't bother with gloves. I don't know of any professional who does.

Any reason you want electric power? Stihl MS 181 is an ideal beginner saw, and can be had for as little as £200. Just add oil and fuel mix and away you go. Very economical saw, and no mucking about charging batteries .

Depends on how confident you are with it.. You've stated the obvious PPE to buy maybe some trousers if your worried I would think a half sensible pair of steel toe caps would do you asking as your not holding logs in place with your foot and cutting on the deck.

Depending on where you are F.R Jones & Sons offer a short training coarse on their web site,might be worth checking out, sure someone can put a link up here for it? Either way get your self some PPE and some training/guidance from a professional.

Learning how to use the saw properly, how to maintain it and keep it sharp are top of the list, then PPE... I don't think you need to go the full hog of NPTC tickets, basic LANTRA training will suffice for your needs, have a look for something like this Chainsaw Training with Phil Dunford : Welcome to Phil's Chainsaw Training Website .