Bsc Arboriculture or Level 6?

Hi,

I am thinking of continuing my studies and have started debating on which direction to go. The part-time online course with Myerscough or lvl 6 with Tree Life. Anything else? I finished my level 4 last year with Tree Life, quite intense. Does anybody have any experience with the Myerscough course and the prerequisites? I will give them a call shortly to discuss things but was just wondering if anyone had gone through the process already.

My initial views:

Myerscough: slightly cheaper, less work, less involved, more recognized worldwide?

Level 6: Lots of work, more thorough, good support, not recognized by ICF?

Same time frames more or less (both 2 years).

Thanks for views and info

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am thinking of continuing my studies and have started debating on which direction to go. The part-time online course with Myerscough or lvl 6 with Tree Life. Anything else? I finished my level 4 last year with Tree Life, quite intense. Does anybody have any experience with the Myerscough course and the prerequisites? I will give them a call shortly to discuss things but was just wondering if anyone had gone through the process already.

My initial views:

Myerscough: slightly cheaper, less work, less involved, more recognized worldwide?

I think you may be wrong re the Icf,

t

Have a chat with Chris Eden, as I believe he is working towards chartership.

Edit. Two years for the L6 is wishful thinking unless you can allocate every evening and weekend to it. IME

Edited by Gary Prentice

Island don't be thinking there is less work in a bsc. Although I'm in the same boat as to thinking of continuing after I finished my level 4 also

I spoke with Brian Higginson from Warwick college before I started my L6 about the options as they do BSc and L6. His exact words were 'if you don't have the time to commit to it, do the Bsc as it's less work, the workload for L6 is not to be underestimated'. I would imagine the BSc is no walk in the park either though.

The only reason I went with L6 is because it was Tree Life. I do a lot of training with them and have always found the courses to be excellent.

Hi,

My initial views:

H mate,

I faced the same dilemma (see my other post) a coupe of years ago and went L6. My initial thoughts.

1. Both are L6 on QCF and that is what makes them recognisable worldwide.

2. I know I said I was told BSc would be less work by the tutor from Warwick but I would still think it would be heavy duty.

3. The L6 is ridiculous in terms of workload but the support from TL is excellent.

4. I'm working on ICF at the moment and they haven't made any objection to L6. I know it has less points on the academic side but its not an academic qualification. Its professional so has to be supplemented by work experience. At least that's my understanding but the guidance from ICF is vague at best.

My decision went like this, what do I want it for? My long term aim is AA reg consultant. Who would I like to set me on my way with my L6 qualification, a college lecturer or an actual reg consultant? i.e. Dave Dowson. That is why I went L6, I think its more aimed at consultancy and taught by a top consultant.

If I wanted to be a college lecturer or to be involved in research I would have gone for the BSc.

I don't think you can do the BSc in two years as you would need to do the FDSc first. If you have the L4 I think there may be some bridging modules you can do instead but essentially its not designed to bolt onto L4 while the L6 is. That was another reason for my decision. I did the old tech cert so L6 was the obvious progression.

As Gary said doing L6 in two years is tough. I did mine in two years but I worked every night and weekend and through the hols. I had no social life for two years which is hard but doable once you get into the mind set. The trick is to think strategically, set yourself small goals that you can meet but that also fit into the overall two years. Get re-submissions in quickly as each tick in the box is a little incentive which really helped me. Set yourself max times for each assignment and try not to exceed them it will put you behind on the others. Its easy to go overboard with the research which is counter productive. If you want to know more about something go back after the course. Just do enough to meet the AC.

Hope that helps,

Good luck, :thumbup:

I've done the Arboriculture MSc and still don't know anything - does that help?!

I would tend to agree with most of Chris's comments above - they are totally different courses. One is academic so will require lots of reading and writing essays, and the other is professional so will reflect typical work scenarios more closely.

I'd also give serious thought to your learning style. Are you motivated enough to do distance learning on your own, or would meeting up with your fellow students and tutor regularly help alot?

I've done the Arboriculture MSc and still don't know anything - does that help?!

I would tend to agree with most of Chris's comments above - they are totally different courses. One is academic so will require lots of reading and writing essays, and the other is professional so will reflect typical work scenarios more closely.

I'd also give serious thought to your learning style. Are you motivated enough to do distance learning on your own, or would meeting up with your fellow students and tutor regularly help alot?

The L6 at Treelife meant, going to the class on average once a nonth over the two years. That really helps but more frequently may be better. Chris' comments are spot on with regard to the lack of social life (any Life!)

Lots of writing in the L6 too, I'm averaging 5-7000 word assignments, but am probably over the top on that.

I've got an awful lot from treelife over the last two years, my outlook and thinking has changed entirely. I'd recommend it to anyone.

The L6 at Treelife meant, going to the class on average once a nonth over the two years. That really helps but more frequently may be better. Chris' comments are spot on with regard to the lack of social life (any Life!)

Lots of writing in the L6 too, I'm averaging 5-7000 word assignments, but am probably over the top on that.

I've got an awful lot from treelife over the last two years, my outlook and thinking has changed entirely. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Is there a word limit on the assignments?! 5-7k words sounds right up my street (seriously). Hahahah.

Is there a word limit on the assignments?! 5-7k words sounds right up my street (seriously). Hahahah.

My BSc not in Arb admittedly had word limits of between 1500-2500 words excluding references. My dissertation was around 10,000. MSc dissertations are around 12-15k words. Part of the art of academic writing is being as concise as possible while still giving all the information. A big part of HND BSc is how you present the information you have researched. I wasn't very good at it i knew the subjects very well but wrote it down poorly.