Any Boat Experts?

Tom D

I bought an old boat at auction the other day, she's probably older than me but seems in reasonably good nick and had a trailer and motor. The boat is a 1970's model and so by the looks of it is the engine, a 50hp 2 stroke yamaha. Although the boat appears solid and doesn't have any major damage or repairs I do wonder about taking her out to sea, especially if I take the family. It has a Loch Lomond Sticker on it so I guess she has spent most of her time in fresh water.

She has a low transom and so needs a short shaft engine, which are apparently hard to find in decent power ratings. This means I would probably need to stick with the old yamaha. My question is would you:

Extend the transom to take a long shaft engine?

Run the yamaha if it seems ok?

Or buy a small second motor to use as a spare?

The boat is a shetland 535 so anyone who knows anything about them please feel free to give any tips or advice...

Cheers

Tom

imag0208.jpg.0825fc6733ee9073a16b4faa2ec1f37e.jpg

imag0207.jpg.60d3239218b9553d6ed8cd6f42127a70.jpg

imag0206.jpg.e8cfd25f47e978483575d327f9702334.jpg

imag0205.jpg.ebadb0c64c921d96444acacdcc9f696b.jpg

imag0203.jpg.a88eddc072032fd074c6ca0fef2199cd.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50hp is ample for that Tom, probably get 25knots out of it. It's already marinised Al, you'll have to flush it through with fresh after using it in the sea. Even if it does run nice you'll still need an auxiliary motor as well as flares, handheld VHF radio and gallons of fuel cos it'll drink it like a fish being a two stroke.

Personally I'd stick to fresh water with that.

50hp is ample for that Tom, probably get 25knots out of it. It's already marinised Al, you'll have to flush it through with fresh after using it in the sea. Even if it does run nice you'll still need an auxiliary motor as well as flares, handheld VHF radio and gallons of fuel cos it'll drink it like a fish being a two stroke.

Personally I'd stick to fresh water with that.

All up to Tom's for a bit of pike fishing then. :biggrin:

I had the same boat and a 40HP Mariner barely made it move in the sea, plus it drank petrol like you wouldn't believe.

In a strong current you struggle to make headway, then it runs out of fuel and whilst you scramble for the cans it drifts back twice as far as you've come :lol:

If you are planning on using a boat at sea I'd suggest doing a RYA day skipper theory course which would teach the basics of navigation, collision regs, weather, tides and all sorts of other useful stuff that will help you to avoid appearing on the RNLI web site as a rescue.

If you have no experience of skippering a boat then I'd also suggest doing a practical boat handling course as well.

If you are planning on using a boat at sea I'd suggest doing a RYA day skipper theory course which would teach the basics of navigation, collision regs, weather, tides and all sorts of other useful stuff that will help you to avoid appearing on the RNLI web site as a rescue.

If you have no experience of skippering a boat then I'd also suggest doing a practical boat handling course as well.

very good advice I did both after parking on a sandbank at Mudeford Harbour. Get the navigation maps for your area and have a good read u may be surprised at the amount of hazards especially at low tide.