Stihl 150 tc drilling exhaust

Mr Fowler

What you are doing is allowing the exhaust gasses out faster and allowing the carb to charge the combustion chamber up more efficiently.

Drilling the exhaust does get the saw cutting harder - it is probably worth turning the H screw anti clockwise as far as the limiters will allow and keep an eye on the plug colour but you shouldn't have any issues.

Just make sure that no metal swarf ends up in the exhaust once done - I have drilled a running saw before now to ensure the inside of the muffler stays clear of metal particles but make sure the brake is on!

Start with a 5-6mm and end on a 10mm - One thing to bear in mind is if you employ workers and this is a saw you give to them to do there work, you may fall foul of the HSE if you mod it and there is an accident requiring over 2 days off work so go careful. If it is your own saw for personal use - go to it:thumbup:

What you are doing is allowing the exhaust gasses out faster and allowing the carb to charge the combustion chamber up more efficiently.

Drilling the exhaust does get the saw cutting harder - it is probably worth turning the H screw anti clockwise as far as the limiters will allow and keep an eye on the plug colour but you shouldn't have any issues.

Just make sure that no metal swarf ends up in the exhaust once done - I have drilled a running saw before now to ensure the inside of the muffler stays clear of metal particles but make sure the brake is on!

Start with a 5-6mm and end on a 10mm - One thing to bear in mind is if you employ workers and this is a saw you give to them to do there work, you may fall foul of the HSE if you mod it and there is an accident requiring over 2 days off work so go careful. If it is your own saw for personal use - go to it:thumbup:

Cheers Spud. It's my saw and use it at the company I work for so I guess I'll go for it? I'll take the exhaust off before I drill it and get the air compressor on it. Out of interest why would you start on 5mm and end on 10? Is that just to make a neater hole?

Cheers Spud. It's my saw and use it at the company I work for so I guess I'll go for it? I'll take the exhaust off before I drill it and get the air compressor on it. Out of interest why would you start on 5mm and end on 10? Is that just to make a neater hole?

Yup, trying to start with a 10mm hole isn't easy!