tieing a v.t properly?!?!?!

vduben

im struggling big time, some times i can tie a v.t and it works properly and then sometimes i tie it and it wont grip with out me fidling with it for a long time!!!!

ive got a blaze and using op cord, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its all down to the length of the legs. IMO theres no right way to tie it...as long as you have sufficient amounts or wraps and braids.....but if the legs are too short it leaves too much play within the knot and you'll get the problem you're having.

for the record i climb with 3 wraps 2 braids

oh and make the legs 2 short and you lose the dynamics of the knot....its a fine line but get it right and its fantastic

its all down to the length of the legs. IMO theres no right way to tie it...as long as you have sufficient amounts or wraps and braids.....but if the legs are too short it leaves too much play within the knot and you'll get the problem you're having.

for the record i climb with 3 wraps 2 braids

oh and make the legs 2 short and you lose the dynamics of the knot....its a fine line but get it right and its fantastic

the wraps at the top...... does it matter wheather the top leg comes over the front or back and does it matter how the first cross on the braids work??

the wraps at the top...... does it matter wheather the top leg comes over the front or back and does it matter how the first cross on the braids work??

It seems there is no real correct way to tie like steve says. I've tied it both with the top leg going under the bottom leg first and vice versa.

I've also tied it where each leg alternates or where the top leg always passes over the bottom leg when making the braids.

You can also braid the briads thought some call this an XT.

Some make a load of wraps then just clip the biner through the eyes and weight it then dress it.

Me i prefer to make 4 wraps, then make one braid with the top leg going over the bottom, then I weight is by sitting in the harness and dress it so that it comes out as a 3 wrap 2 braid. If it does'nt grab right i'll adjust the length.

I alternate my braids so that both come in direct contact with the climbing line. 3 Wraps and 2 or 3 braids, I make sure that the top leg is in contact with the climbing line on the first braid too. There are so many ways to tie it, just find what works for you...

It seems there is no real correct way to tie like steve says

oh, theres a correct way if you want a strict v.t.

going for variations just makes it a different know but they all work under the same principle. i generally tie it with the top leg going over the top on the first braid, but sometimes alternate it depending which rope im using. but like i said, the key is having the length right.

I climb with 4 wraps and 3 braids. i used to climb on 4 wraps 2 braids but was a bit hit and miss if it held or not. but i have never had one slip badly and dont eally know how to tie i exactly. but just played around abit till somthink worked.

im struggling big time, some times i can tie a v.t and it works properly and then sometimes i tie it and it wont grip with out me fidling with it for a long time!!!!

ive got a blaze and using op cord, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

does your vt look like this?

kit18_01_500.gif