372 Xtorq problem

bella wood

Hello ,, looking for a little guidance incase im missing an something ovious,,

Lost the 2 small bolts that bolt exhaust to bracket and used for approx 10 mins (near finnishing time ),, then exhaust started vibing bad ,,

So got home took exhaust of and main exhaust bolts where still tight holding gasket and sheild in place but exhaust had sheered away leaving bolts and gasket attached to cylinder,,

Put on a new exhaust from a scrapped saw i had in shed ,, but now saw wont pull over ,,

After taking pull start cover off ive found the piston will only go to the top when turning flywheel ,, turn flywheel other way piston goes down

Am i missing something simple here ????? saw is 4 months old and dont realy want to pull the head off it ,, and im thinking i may have problems now with warranty due to working on it myself

Hello ,, looking for a little guidance incase im missing an something ovious,,

Lost the 2 small bolts that bolt exhaust to bracket and used for approx 10 mins (near finnishing time ),, then exhaust started vibing bad ,,

So got home took exhaust of and main exhaust bolts where still tight holding gasket and sheild in place but exhaust had sheered away leaving bolts and gasket attached to cylinder,,

Put on a new exhaust from a scrapped saw i had in shed ,, but now saw wont pull over ,,

After taking pull start cover off ive found the piston will only go to the top when turning flywheel ,, turn flywheel other way piston goes down

Am i missing something simple here ????? saw is 4 months old and dont realy want to pull the head off it ,, and im thinking i may have problems now with warranty due to working on it myself

There is a part of the exhaust and/ or bracket in or down the exhaust port ?

Sounds like something has gone in to the cylinder and is now stopping it turning over, the most likely thing is a bit of debris stuck on the outer part of the piston and stuck in the squishband area.

It is possible to tap the piston against the obstruction LIGHTLY, lower the pistonand look at the crown through the spark plug hole and exhaust port for the witness mark.

The other possible issue is that you have used overly long bolts in the exhaust and they have pushed in to the cylinder deforming it - this would be REALLY bad:thumbdown:

The obstruction may just be carbon of bits of gasket etc - I have seen carbon stop a saw pulling over cleanly.

Best thing to do is find the issue and clear it - make sure it is JUST sticking at TDC top dead centre and try turning the saw back the other way and see where it sticks when turned backwards!

I put the original bolts back in ,, it's to cold in my workshop tonight but ill try and have some further check tomoz when i get back ,,

It looks like its going to the top then i have to turn flywheel the other way to get it to go down ,,

It does sound like there something in there somewhere,,

Thanks for your help ,,,

If the muffler has broken up it is pretty certain a portion of the baffle has been drawn into the cylinder, bite the bullit and pull the cylinder off, its the only way to check, if it suddenly frees up and you start it you will be looking for a new pot & piston.

I put the original bolts back in ,, it's to cold in my workshop tonight but ill try and have some further check tomoz when i get back ,,

It looks like its going to the top then i have to turn flywheel the other way to get it to go down ,,

It does sound like there something in there somewhere,,

Thanks for your help ,,,

I would normally take the recoil off and turn the engine in the correct way until it jams and note where the piston stops - is it close or on the top of the cylinder? Now try taking it backward and see where it sticks, is it in the same position - you could mark the piston through the exhaust port and see if it happens at the same position.

If this does stop in exactly the same position then it looks like there is something embedded in the top of the piston or in the cylinder - if the piston is well off TDC then it is jamming elsewhere!

Interesting fault!